Photographing birds in flight

12 years 7 months ago #153322 by Scotty

icepics wrote: I haven't tried to photograph birds in flight, but have done some panning and I mostly use manual cameras. I think it takes some practice. Maybe if you find you're using manual rather than auto focus you could practice on something else, cars going by or something - I used to practice w/out film in the camera to get the hang of it. Haven't used the technique a lot though.

Scotty and John, plenty of people get threads off topic, happens all the time on here; as moderators I think there needs to be some objectivity as you guys don't seem to getting on everybody about it when threads go OT. And a dry, sarcastic sense of humor tends to get lost or misinterpreted on message boards, I'm not sure it comes across as intended. You guys sometimes seem to not realize that something wasn't meant to be taken literally.

My warning was based on complaints and reports of disturbance, not just this thread.

We are quite objective.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #153415 by Baydream

MLKstudios wrote: It was a better answer, Bd. Lighten up. :)

eta You should have used "telephoto" not "zoom". A zoom lens can be all wide angle.

I didn't get that from Google either.

I DID mean zoom. I have a lot of great shots of hummingbirds, finches, chickadees and others taken with a non-tele zoom.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #153421 by chasrich
Hi Penny... Did you get all that? I think the important thing to remember about birds is to never give up. It takes a lot of time to start thinking like a bird. Some birds have a body language that tells you what they are about to do. Like John mentions they signal certain movements ahead of time. Burst mode does help as you stand a better chance of getting a good one on camera. I think single shot can give you a better focus in many cases. So much about what works depends on where the bird is and what is happening around you. Walk slowly and quietly so you do not appear to be a threat. Catch a few good shots then move a little closer. Keep repeating this until you think the bird is about to take off - then watch it like a hawk... :woohoo:

Keep us posted as to how you progress. I'm thinking you might come up with some tips of your own to share with us. Lord knows bird watchers need all the help they can get. ;)

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #153435 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: It ends with a wink. Was commenting on effron's "tome" remark. ;)

eta Bd, this is your area of expertise. Nothing else to add?

Stop derailing threads please.

Right. When people ask a serious question answer seriously. I've been known to go off topic, but not so much on serious threads like this.

icepics wrote: Scotty and John, plenty of people get threads off topic, happens all the time on here; as moderators I think there needs to be some objectivity as you guys don't seem to getting on everybody about it when threads go OT. And a dry, sarcastic sense of humor tends to get lost or misinterpreted on message boards, I'm not sure it comes across as intended. You guys sometimes seem to not realize that something wasn't meant to be taken literally.

No, there's a place for it and threads asking about technique etc. aren't the place to put it. If you do make a joke on these threads back it up with some hard facts about the OP's question. Other threads that are more fun or superficial are more suitable for going off topic. MLK just failed to learn the difference.

Now so I'm not hypocritical ;)

Here's my 2c on the original topic:

As I was saying to Scotty before, I tried photographing an eagle last weekend from my apartment window (27th floor). Turns out even 500mm (200 with x1.7TC on x1.5 crop body) wasn't long enough.

I guess you want the equivalent of 700+mm But if you can sneak up on birds (like get within a few feet) then you can go shorter.

Tripods help keep the lens stable too... but you have to remember to keep the Shutter Speed high enough to stop panning movement and subject movement. So 1/500+
12 years 7 months ago #153650 by Clas

Lucky One wrote: That's my theme for this weekend. I'm going to go out and try to photograph birds in flight. I would like to ask from the pro's or people that have experience what sort of set up are you using to photograph birds in flight? Let me give a couple scenarios:

1. Day time plenty of light
- how are you getting them near you, or are you just following them?
- what lens, camera settings are you using?
- is it ok to us bird feed to draw them in?

2. Getting darker and low light
- what lens are you using?
- are you using flash and if so have you had any luck with those flash extenders?

Any additional tips would be great. Thanks in advance for the help.

It's now Monday, so how did you photo session go? Got any great pictures to share?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024