Friend wants to rent my camera and 2 lenses for vacation to Hawaii?

12 years 6 months ago #154829 by Superman
Well this was a strange call. I just got a call from a buddy of mine who him and his wife is heading to Hawaii next month and he doesn't want to buy a camera, but wanted to take some "professional" photos of their trip in Hawaii.

I told him I would get back with him, I'm not sure what direction to go. What would you do?

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154830 by McBeth Photography
Might be the end of a good friendship if anything happened to the camera. Not judging your friend, but just saying that sometimes people don't take responsibility for things that they should.

It is what it is.
12 years 6 months ago #154833 by orion
I would agree with McBeth, what would happen if he broke the camera or lense - think u both would be peed off! As he doesnt want to buy a kit, would u be able to suggest a place to him to rent one? I wouldnt like anyone to use my stuff without me being there. Would make sense in the long run - or is he tight with money? :lol:

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #154844 by icepics
Maybe refer him to a good place to rent a camera/lenses? offer to help him decide what to rent? help him realize using a 'professional' camera and lens depends on the ability of the photographer? (I'm trying to think of a nice way to tell him that just using your camera may or may not get him some great vacation photos - he may end up disappointed depending on his abilty and expectations)

Not sure I'd want to loan camera equipment out and send it to a sandy beach! - maybe your camera would enjoy Hawaii but you may not be happy with it going on vacation w/out you.

As others said maybe talk to him about the risk of using it and something happening to it, not only would it not be good for you he'd probably feel bad if anything happened to it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154847 by MKRHamden
The only way I would do this is if I had an extra camera that I wasn't afraid to lose. Its just too risky for the friendship.

Maybe you could find a camera shop or somewhere that has rentals and offer your friend that informaiton instead.

:)
Meri

12 years 6 months ago #154854 by Superman
Thanks everyone, this is the feedback I was looking to get. The guy is much better off than I'm at, so I know the guy could write a check today for a complete camera set up. I think he is just trying to save some money from having to buy one. He did throw out the statement "you never know I might enjoy photography then we can go out photographing together". He's a old college friend of my wife and family for a number of years. I would hate for something to happen with the camerar, because let's face it accidents do happen.

So I think tomorrow I'm going to let him know about Borrowlenses who I see are listed on this site. BTW knowing him he's going to ask for a coupon or promo code. Do these guys have any promo or coupon codes?

Thanks again!

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154858 by Scotty

Superman wrote: Thanks everyone, this is the feedback I was looking to get. The guy is much better off than I'm at, so I know the guy could write a check today for a complete camera set up. I think he is just trying to save some money from having to buy one. He did throw out the statement "you never know I might enjoy photography then we can go out photographing together". He's a old college friend of my wife and family for a number of years. I would hate for something to happen with the camerar, because let's face it accidents do happen.

So I think tomorrow I'm going to let him know about Borrowlenses who I see are listed on this site. BTW knowing him he's going to ask for a coupon or promo code. Do these guys have any promo or coupon codes?

Thanks again!

Dunno if they're doing any promos, but ive rented a 300 2.8 and a 400 2.8 from them. Great people.

Tell your friends that rental places usually have insurance you can buy, so they're taken care of.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154866 by chasrich
If it was me I would tell him to buy the new camera (that I want to upgrade to) and offer to buy it from him used when he returns.

Rental cameras are available from commercial sources - I doubt you would want to insure the gear then wait for the call...

If he paid your transportation expenses would you be willing to accompany them as their private photographer?

Easy answer might be - No!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #154937 by effron
A real "buddy" or friend would never ask this of you, the easy answer is of course, NO....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154976 by pics cool
No, not only if something would happen to that camera, but what if you would need it for that time frame he is gone? If he wants to take pics, let him buy his own camera.

12 years 6 months ago #154979 by photobod
Just tell him straight that you feel nervous and aprehensive at letting your camera out of your sight, its not that you dont trust him just that it is your baby, then lead him towards the rental place Scotty recommends, if he is a true friend he will understand, if he takes the huff then he never was a good friend.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #155087 by Jim Photo
Not a chance, he can get a good deal on a Nikon 5100 or 3100 kit for under $700 or so

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155182 by CatherineW

Scotty wrote:

Superman wrote: Thanks everyone, this is the feedback I was looking to get. The guy is much better off than I'm at, so I know the guy could write a check today for a complete camera set up. I think he is just trying to save some money from having to buy one. He did throw out the statement "you never know I might enjoy photography then we can go out photographing together". He's a old college friend of my wife and family for a number of years. I would hate for something to happen with the camerar, because let's face it accidents do happen.

Thanks again!

Dunno if they're doing any promos, but ive rented a 300 2.8 and a 400 2.8 from them. Great people.

Tell your friends that rental places usually have insurance you can buy, so they're taken care of.

What did that run you on the 400mm?

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155225 by MYoung
I won't even let my husband use my new camera!

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155229 by boriqua latina
id say Noooooooooooooo i cant ... im sorry buddy but you on your own on this one.... He might be mad for like a month or many months but right there youll see whether he vallues ur friendship or your camera...tell him truthfully how u feel....

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024