Camera's stores closed??

12 years 6 months ago #157525 by MYoung
I have called a few camera stores and they are all closed. I think it was B&H's recording that said they are on holiday. Did I miss a holiday? :huh:

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157528 by Baydream
B&H and Adorama are owned and operated by strict Jewish folks who follow their religion faithfully, unlike some other "religious" owners who are open on Christmas Day and Easter. Check their web site and see the listed "holiday observances" .
The current one is Succos.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157533 by MYoung
Ohhhhhh, surprised they don't have non jewish people working to keep the business flowing.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography, geoffellis
12 years 6 months ago #157544 by icepics
I think they reopen Sunday. Adorama did have some phone sale hours available but I think that was the first half of the week. On Adorama's site look under NYC Store for their hours. The stores in the photo district in Manhattan are usually closed Sat./open Sun.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157606 by JB
Doesn't Adorama or B&H have full day holiday sale coming up?

12 years 6 months ago #157618 by McBeth Photography

Baydream wrote: B&H and Adorama are owned and operated by strict Jewish folks who follow their religion faithfully, unlike some other "religious" owners who are open on Christmas Day and Easter. Check their web site and see the listed "holiday observances" .

It is refreshing to find businesses that are owned and operated by people with principles. It actually makes me feel better as a buyer, knowing that these folks are faithful in their business with the Almighty ..... And because of that I believe that they will be faithful when doing business with me. :)

It is what it is.
12 years 6 months ago #157621 by Scotty
Yeah BH is closed every other day pretty much for holiday. You get used to it.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157686 by Crammer
Yeap, they should be open Monday right?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157769 by crystal

Baydream wrote: B&H and Adorama are owned and operated by strict Jewish folks who follow their religion faithfully, unlike some other "religious" owners who are open on Christmas Day and Easter. Check their web site and see the listed "holiday observances" .

yup, I find this out last week, when Gary and I were going to make a trip to NY to go shopping at both stores for a new lens and head for me. I wasn't happy knowing they were closed, cuz I truly miss having that focal length lens and I really need a new head to shoot wildlife.
12 years 6 months ago #157772 by Fallin Star
I understand being a holiday and all, but why that long? A couple days is fine.

12 years 6 months ago #157922 by TheNissanMan
If the company is owned by someone who is following their faith it is a little harsh to say why so long. Bit like saying why don't we get someone who doesn't believe in Chistmas to work christmas day etc...

I am not a religous person by any means but at the same time must admire someone for sticking to their principles and following what they believe even though it maybe detrimental to thei business in the short term.

12 years 6 months ago #157930 by icepics
If you look at something like Google maps and search synagogues you can see why their hours and holiday closures probably work in their community. Adorama usually has some hours that phone sales are available during their closures, I don't know about B&H.

Crammer, I think they reopen Sunday.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #157931 by Baydream
If you get a calendar that lists the Jewish Holidays, you will see when they are closed. Principle over profit. How often do you see that these days.
They almost always have a "warning" on their site in advance so you know when
to get your order in.
This is there 2011 holiday schedule (from their web site)
B&H SuperStore Holiday Schedule 2011
Purim Sunday, March 20 Closed
Passover Eve Monday, April 18 Closed
Passover Tuesday, April 19 - Tuesday, April 26 Closed
Memorial Day Monday, May 30 Open 9AM - 7PM
Shavuos Eve Tuesday, June 7 Close at 2PM
Shavuos Wednesday, June 8 - Thursday, June 9 Closed
Independence Day Monday, July 4 Open 10AM - 7PM
Tisha B'Av Eve Monday, August 8 Close at 5PM
Tisha B'Av Tuesday, August 9 Closed
Labor Day Monday, September 5 Open 10AM - 7PM
Rosh Hashana Eve Wednesday, September 28 Close at 1PM
Rosh Hashana Thursday, September 29 - Friday, September 30 Closed
Yom Kippur Eve Friday, October 7 Closed
Succos Eve Wednesday, October 12 Close at 1PM
Succos Thursday, October 13 - Friday, October 21 Closed
Thanksgiving Thursday, November 24 Open 10AM - 5PM
Christmas Sunday, December 25 Closed

I'm sure the 2012 schedule will be posted soon.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158101 by geoffellis

MYoung wrote: Ohhhhhh, surprised they don't have non jewish people working to keep the business flowing.

While that may make sense profit-wise... how could they in good conscience ask someone else to break what they deem as Gods Law?
12 years 6 months ago #158112 by icepics
Since Adorama has some hours that phone sales are available during the holiday closings, I would take that to mean they could have some staff that aren'tJewish that come in and work during that time. It being a private business not a public program it would be up to them how they schedule their store hours.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024