Shooting stars at higher ISO and quicker shutter speeds vs lower ISO and longer shutter speeds?

12 years 6 months ago #158048 by Photo Mojo
I'm hopping to get some star shots and star trails in this weekend, but have some thoughts. So if I use higher ISO, my shutter will obviously open and close quicker getting what light it needs from the stars quickly. Am I thinking right to believe this will give less noise from ambient light pollution? Because if I shoot with lower ISO and longer exposure time, I'm giving the camera more time to soak in that unwanted light in earths stratosphere?

I'm learning as I go here, so your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158051 by TheNissanMan
From what I have read but am yet to try...

- A tripod is essential with ermote release
- As low an ISO as possible
- As long an exposure as possible
- Stay away from the city/towns to reduce ambient light

It's something I must try when we get a clear sky next...

12 years 6 months ago #158067 by Photo Mojo
Thanks Nissanman. I can't avoid the city lights and have tried longer exposures and got a bone whitish film in the photos.

I'm wondering if I'm going to have to get to city limits in order to get a good shot. Will a telescope get around the light in the atmosphere?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158069 by chasrich
I think the only difference might be in the length of the star trails. I think it would be an interesting experiment to try. Longer exposures might increase the likely hood that a star will pass through the frame but that difference would be slight. Faster shutter speeds would likely let any shooting stars appear brighter - a two second shooting star will make more of an impression on a twenty second exposure than it will on a 120 second exposure. I'm seeing more a lot of pros and cons either way. Make sure you wear a white lab coat while you experiment - it makes it more scientific... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #158071 by chasrich

Photo Mojo wrote: Thanks Nissanman. I can't avoid the city lights and have tried longer exposures and got a bone whitish film in the photos.

I'm wondering if I'm going to have to get to city limits in order to get a good shot. Will a telescope get around the light in the atmosphere?

The city light is reflected light from the city off of the atmosphere and clouds. Clear skies are your best bet anyway.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #158087 by Baydream
And tonight and tomorrow
October 21, 22 - Orionids Meteor Shower. The Orionids is an average shower producing about 20 meteors per hour at their peak. This shower usually peaks on the 21st, but it is highly irregular. A good show could be experienced on any morning from October 20 - 24, and some meteors may be seen any time from October 17 - 25. The nearly last quarter moon may hide some of the faintest meteors this year. Best viewing will be to the east after midnight. Be sure to find a dark location far from city lights.

This from www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-calendar-2011.html

and with moon rise not until 1:20 and 2:20 on these days, that should help.
These shots were from Aug 2010 (Aug 2011 had a full moon that lit up the sky.)
The first is the orig and picked up some ambient light (from a very dark area). By converting to B&W and increasing contrast, the edited photo looked better.
Canon XSI, 50mm 1.8 at f/1,8, ISO 1600 and 20 sec exposure.

Hoping the one in November finds good weather this year.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #158097 by chasrich
I got the car packed and my sweetie to come along. I'll post anything that turns out tomorrow... If you want me I'll be checking the skies from 11PM until the moon rises. :woohoo:

12 years 6 months ago #158179 by Foggy
Santa you can drop that 10" or 11" Meade or Celestron down my chimney any time you need to. No need to wait till Christmas :whistle:

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158264 by Joves

Photo Mojo wrote: I'm wondering if I'm going to have to get to city limits in order to get a good shot. Will a telescope get around the light in the atmosphere?

No a telescope actually suffers more from light pollution, your average telescope has a Focal Length from 600mm to 2000mms which magnifies the light and also any turbulence in the air. You can tell how stable the air is by looking at the stars, if they are twinkling the air mass unstable or mixed with warm and cold air converging, if they are steady then the air is stable and better for seeing.
Now on your initial question. The difference is ISOs will not matter except the higher ISO will actually capture the pollution faster, either way to get trails you need long exposure times. So the lower ISOs are what you want for longer exposure times and longer trails. What your maximum time for having the shutter open can be determined by the maximum length of video your camera can shoot, if you expose longer than that then you will can potentially over heat your sensor.

12 years 6 months ago #158902 by Tam
I don't think it's possible to shoot stars at a higher ISO and quicker shutter speeds. I don't think anything will be capture, because the camera isn't open long enough.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024