"Can you make me slimmer?" - touchy question client asked

12 years 6 months ago #158266 by Master Photograffer
Are people getting more conscience about their weight these days? I hardly ever got asked that question, it was always "can you make me more beautiful". I have a client who is a large woman, I would be guess she would be upper 280lbs. Now I also know she was much heavier and has been exercising and dieting correctly. So she has been losing weight. She asked me yesterday to make her "slimmer". *Technically we had the photo shoot last weekend and she left me a message yesterday. I have not called back.

I could really use some advice here.

1. How would you respond?
2. I know I could use liquidify tools and such in Photoshop... but how much weight do I shave off?
3. I can't see this being easy, should I charge extra for this sort of post processing?

I really appreciate your input.

:cheers:
Ralph

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158270 by Joves
Well I would see it as a part of the job in making the customer happy. I would say shave off the 10lbs that the camera adds, or supposedly so. Your own ethics decide as to whether you will distort reality.

12 years 6 months ago #158273 by Baydream
Rule One - Keep the customer happy.

Do as much as you can without distorting other parts of the image or making it "look" faked.

A few extra minutes now can keep the client happy and coming back for more. Consider it time well spent.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #158277 by Stealthy Ninja
You can make them pose in a way that's not showing off the weight and you can avoid using WA lenses.

Or go to youtube and search for "photoshop weight loss" there's a funny/interesting video that'll show up. ;)
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #158280 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote: Well I would see it as a part of the job in making the customer happy. I would say shave off the 10lbs that the camera adds, or supposedly so. Your own ethics decide as to whether you will distort reality.

I was actually thinking about the ol' "the camera ads 10lbs". Thing. I think that comes from old TVs with curved screens and the use of WA lenses on TV.

I'm probably right... :whistle:
12 years 6 months ago #158284 by Master Photograffer
Fast responses, thank you. So would you guys just make an assumption of how much weight to shave off? Or would you ask the client? She did ask for me to call her. I'm just trying to prepare myself before I get on the call.

Thanks again.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158288 by photobod

Master Photograffer wrote: Fast responses, thank you. So would you guys just make an assumption of how much weight to shave off? Or would you ask the client? She did ask for me to call her. I'm just trying to prepare myself before I get on the call.

Thanks again.

Just call her and be honest, how much thinner does she want to be, tell her you are reluctant to go to far as it will end up not looking like her, just be respectful, she cant bite you although she could sit on you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: its never an easy one.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #158296 by Master Photograffer
Sounds good. Thanks everyone, I feel more prepared for this call.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158297 by Baydream
Take one to the "limit" of reality, save it, then take it beyond that. Let the client decide. It should only take a few minutes.

Side:
Our local weatherman (tall guy) was at a live site and someone said he looked bigger in real life than on television. His response was that it was probably because the person had a small TV. We never know what Andrew is going to say next.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158300 by Henry Peach
I think slimming people in Photoshop, and having it remain realistic, is very difficult. It's much better to do as much as possible with posing and lighting at the shoot. Maybe a reshoot is possible? It might be easier and faster than Photoshop.
12 years 6 months ago #158388 by Ziggy
I would only alter a tad and tad only, you don't know how far down that path you would have to go to please them with out taking to much off.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158578 by Sawyer
Let her you can take off a litle and have congratulate her on her hard work, and offer discount on future portraits as she loses more weight.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158594 by TheNissanMan
Can't you just sell her a smaller print :)

I'll get my coat....

12 years 6 months ago #158650 by photobod

TheNissanMan wrote: Can't you just sell her a smaller print :)

I'll get my coat....

And you an agent shame on you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #158659 by TheNissanMan
Thinking outside of the box :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024