How to work around powerlines?

12 years 6 months ago #159572 by LSK01
They always seem to be in the way. Every time I take a picture, power lines are just so distracting and ugly to the image. How do you shoot without power lines being in the way?

12 years 6 months ago #159575 by RogerS
There are 3 methods. You either clone them out, find another vantage point, or use them in your picture to the best advantage. I use all 3 methods in differing situations.

12 years 6 months ago #159594 by Hoky Poke
Powerlines can be a pain in the butt, but what you could do is, move to the other side of the power lines (if you can) and see if you like that angle. If you don't, then try and include the powerlines as part of the photo..the subject. When you get home, if you don't like how the power lines show up in the photo, you could always clone them out.

12 years 6 months ago #159597 by LSK01
Thanks, I do try to move around to not include the powerlines at all, but it seems, when I move to not include the one set of powerlines, there is another set in my way. urgh just too many, I tell ya. Power should be completely underground. It would make the world seem like a prettier place. B)

12 years 6 months ago #159772 by cod
There are no universal solutions but this free plug-in for Photoshop, called Wire Worm , is a useful tool to help with cloning out wires in many situations.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 6 months ago #159774 by icepics
Did this the other day, aimed the camera more looking up into the trees than I'd planned but ended up with a more interesting shot. But I know what you mean, hard to always work around them, I try to look for a shot above or below them when possible. Or as others said, try to work them into the photo. (I shoot film more than digital so no cloning option).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #159781 by Joves
I clone them out myself.

12 years 6 months ago #159830 by Baydream
As I mentioned in another thread, I think there is a law in North America and maybe the UK that all historic churches must have power lines running in front of them. The word on the street is that the law was sponsored by Photoshop.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogerS
12 years 6 months ago #160001 by Fology

cod wrote: There are no universal solutions but this free plug-in for Photoshop, called Wire Worm , is a useful tool to help with cloning out wires in many situations.

Thanks for the link. Never used this plug in before (since I never heard of it) lol but couldn't one just clone out the wires without using the plug in?

12 years 6 months ago #160002 by Fology

Baydream wrote: As I mentioned in another thread, I think there is a law in North America and maybe the UK that all historic churches must have power lines running in front of them. The word on the street is that the law was sponsored by Photoshop.

Really? Wow. I would have never guess this was a law. Does anyone know why churches must have power lines running in front of them?

12 years 6 months ago #160197 by cod

Fology wrote:

cod wrote: There are no universal solutions but this free plug-in for Photoshop, called Wire Worm , is a useful tool to help with cloning out wires in many situations.

Thanks for the link. Never used this plug in before (since I never heard of it) lol but couldn't one just clone out the wires without using the plug in?

Absolutely! All this plug-in does is copy part of the image from beside the wire and replace the wire section with it, with the ability to customize selections. It doesn't work for everything and some fine tweaking is usually needed. The plug-in can speed up the process in many instances though. I wouldn't buy this, but it's free and has helped me out at times.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 6 months ago #160948 by Happy Snapper
Photoshop content aware is your friend :thumbsup:

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rascal07
12 years 6 months ago #161011 by steveheap

Photoshop content aware is your friend

Yes, I saw a nice tip in Photoshop user magazine this month. To easily clone out power lines, you can use the pen tool to draw a path along the wire itself. Pen tool is good for this as you can get very graceful curves. Then you right click on the path in the panel and choose "stroke." One of the options in Stroke is "content aware" and so it in effect draws a content aware healing brush along the wire - all automatically.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 6 months ago #161245 by Stealthy Ninja
Bombs, different angles and cloning in PS is your answer.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024