stars for points ?

12 years 6 months ago #159888 by stephenpeter
how many people are just rating other peoples shots just to get points , so that they can be a leader on the points board ? Or am I being sceptical !??

12 years 6 months ago #159889 by geoffellis
who cares? the point system doesnt seem to be too integral to participating here.
12 years 6 months ago #159894 by chasrich
There are some that rate photos for the points. There is no doubt that a point here or there is an incentive... but there are other incentives as well. I think it sharpens my editing skills both in the camera and in PP. On the receiving end I get a clear indication which of my posted shots are popular and often some opinions as to how I might improve that type of shot.

The bigest incentive though is that with 100 points and a dollar you can buy a cup of coffee... :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #159902 by photobod
You skeptic you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: some may do so but it doesnt really matter does it, I personaly like to give encouragement it works for me as when people comment on my photos it always makes me feel proud, I never think of why they did it, I also encourage people to look through the albums so they can find a photo to put in the appreciation thread, as you and others may have guessed that thread made by Scotty is a passion of mine as I firmly believe that it is a way of further encouragement in the great world of photography, hows that for a ramble and I get 1 point yeah !!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :banana: :banana: :banana: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #159965 by robbie

stephenpeter wrote: how many people are just rating other peoples shots just to get points , so that they can be a leader on the points board ? Or am I being sceptical !??

I`m with you when they rate your image a 1 or 2 yet that same image is got better reviews on the the forum posting.There are 'copy cat' rating where the first one rates the image and the second one gives that same idiotic ratings with no explanation how to improve the image.Personally I think a 3 should requires a comment why you gives such a rating.I only rate people`s image after they rate mine.

12 years 6 months ago #159972 by Strelle685

stephenpeter wrote: how many people are just rating other peoples shots just to get points , so that they can be a leader on the points board ? Or am I being sceptical !??

I think at least 50% of the people act this way. Only rate and comment to have more points. I think 25% actually rate truly based on their opinion to help others and don't care about the point system. And the rest of the people, probably just browse through the images and not rate at all.

12 years 6 months ago #159985 by Rob pix4u2
I guess that it doesn't bother me as I am not "competing" for points. I am interested in how folks rate my work though

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 6 months ago #159992 by Fology

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I guess that it doesn't bother me as I am not "competing" for points. I am interested in how folks rate my work though

I think some people are competing, thinking they will get a prize. However I have not heard of anyone winning anything based on the points.

12 years 6 months ago #160040 by Baydream

Fology wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I guess that it doesn't bother me as I am not "competing" for points. I am interested in how folks rate my work though

I think some people are competing, thinking they will get a prize. However I have not heard of anyone winning anything based on the points.

You are correct about prizes. At some point, the system will probably be revised to better reflect POSITIVE activity, then used for prizes. The current system only rewards "activity", not positive activity. look for changes coming in the future. The site is not yet a year old so it is still evolving.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #160058 by Maria21
I myself don't tend to rate a photo because i don't personally know the difficulty in taking the photo. It's easy to look at a photo & say I would have done this or that, but in the actual situation, there may not have been time or room to get another 10 feet back to get that ideal image. I do look at the galleries & albums here but I don't comment unless I think it really will help improve the image or it's one that really strikes me.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 6 months ago #160070 by Papabear63
never knew you get points for rating people pictures, there is no mention of any prizes given for points. I rate a picture according to how i feel about the picture. I myself tend not to comment because i don't feel like i'm where i need to be as a photographer to give a good critique on a photo.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024