Would you ever shoot portraits in the rain?

12 years 6 months ago #159966 by BOLT
A friend of mine wanted me to shoot their portraits over the weekend. But now the weather calls for rain, so I canceled. However the friend still wants to shoot. Not just because they want a photoshoot in the rain (that be a different story, if it was the theme), but these were suppose to be Autumn portraits..not rain portraits. I don't feel comfortable shooting in the rain, but my friend is not getting it.

So has anyone photographed portraits in the rain? How did they come out? Do you think I should stick to my guns.

12 years 6 months ago #159974 by Fology
I never have and never will. If she insists on having the portraits that day, take the pictures in her home.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #159976 by Henry Peach
I normally reschedule outdoor portrait shoots when bad weather looms. I agree with you. If the portrait session is about running around in the rain and being wet that's one thing, but I'm not interested in trying to make rainy day portraits look like nice weather portraits. I don't mind overcast, but when everything is wet it cuts down on a lot of posing options unless the subject is willing to get wet and probably dirty. What is the weather going to do to clothes, hair, make-up, etc.... I can't Photoshop those things dry. If the client doesn't want wet, muddy portraits there is little point in wasting time making wet, muddy portraits on a wet, muddy day.

I have done bad weather portrait sessions in rain and snow, but they were well planned, short, and the point was to create photos showing the subjects running around in the rain and snow.
12 years 6 months ago #159993 by Rob pix4u2
Overcast lends a softer light but rain tends to ruin even that.Colors aren't the same in the rain

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 6 months ago #159997 by Strelle685
For me, it depends how much rain. Downpour, lighting, thunder or light rain. A rainstorm is not good. However a light rain, you could use umbrellas to keep out of the rain and as props. The wet look could work for some photographs. It's your call, you are the photographer...not your friend.

12 years 6 months ago #159998 by BOLT
Thanks everyone. I think we are going to sit this one out. The following weekend (as of right now), looks better for shooting.

12 years 6 months ago #160000 by butterflygirl921
Honestly that would be really cool to do something different. I would set up a couple of lights and put a little tent over you and let her get all wet and just have fun with it. If she doesn't like the photos then oh well but if they come out really good it would be a great experience for you.

12 years 6 months ago #160356 by No Show
I've seen some great in the rain shoots. But the problem is you have to work very quickly. Hair, over soaked clothes, etc. Matter of fact there's a video in the tips section here from a few weeks back on how to make artificial rain.

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #160357 by Mugsy

No Show wrote: I've seen some great in the rain shoots. But the problem is you have to work very quickly. Hair, over soaked clothes, etc. Matter of fact there's a video in the tips section here from a few weeks back on how to make artificial rain.

I'm guessing the artificial rain would be from a hose?

I think rain portraits on a sunny day could become pretty awesome. Of course, this would be with the hose/sprinkler.

12 years 6 months ago #160921 by Prago
I think some shots might look good in the rain, but honestly I don't see this as a must have photo opportunity

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #161262 by Stealthy Ninja
Sure if it added to the photos in some way or was part of the plan or something.
12 years 6 months ago #161328 by Kenya See

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Sure if it added to the photos in some way or was part of the plan or something.

It would have to be planned for me, I hate having wet cloths on

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #161391 by boriqua latina
try other options to photograph in the rain, but plan it first..

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024