Anyone work in a photography store?

12 years 6 months ago #160628 by JACC0811
Has/does anyone work in the retail side of photography? I have applied for part time work in a local store and had an interview today. All went well and I hope to hear an answer early next week.

I see it as a great opportunity to learn about new equipment and get tips on things I didn't know about.

Anyone else?

Automotive and Architectural Photography
Pop's Garage Photography - www.facebook.com/popsgaragephotography
www.popsgaragephotography.com

12 years 6 months ago #160631 by Baydream
No, but good luck.
Don't forget to write down some of the really dumb questions you get asked for that book you will write one day. :toocrazy:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #160719 by Kid Prodigy
I would love to have worked at B&H back in the day

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #160730 by Henry Peach
I worked in a locally owned camera store/full service lab for four years in the late 90s. We did C41, E6, and BW up to 4x5. This was the beginning of the digital days so we were mostly film oriented, but we also did scanning, digital repair of old photos, some ink jet printing (mainly poster size), and were selling a few digital compact cameras and film scanners. I don't recall ever having a DSLR in stock. I probably learned more about photography there than I did in my college photography classes. I loved it. All day I chatted with photographers of various skill levels or worked in the lab. If we weren't busy I got to sit around studying up on gear and photography. Both owners were experienced photographers, and the owner who ran the lab really taught me a lot. And the employee discount rocked!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JACC0811
12 years 6 months ago #160850 by rmeyer7
I didn't work in a camera store, but I did manage the photo lab at a retail store for a while. We only did C41 in the store, we used a separate lab for all others. That was when digital photography was starting to get pretty impressive. That work experience was the first time I saw photos from a DSLR camera and knew I wanted to get one.

12 years 6 months ago #160862 by JACC0811
Thanks for the input!

I'm hoping this works out since my current full-time job is very physical and doing a number on my body, so I need the change for health reasons. I don't think I'll be shooting many cars or shows in the winter around here, so this will help with income. I didn't hear about a discount yet, but either way, I'll be able to get my new lenses and lighting gear I want a little easier too.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #160920 by Henry Peach
Another benefit is gear manufacturer perks (there was another name for it, but I can't remember...). When I was selling cameras Nikon, Canon, and Pentax would pay us a bonus for selling equipment they want moved. Tamron and Sigma would pay us to sell their lenses on Nikon or Canon bodies. There were sales where I made more money on the sale than the store.

Yep, camera sellers get kickbacks. :) Buyer beware! I never pushed gear that I didn't believe in though, so I never felt guilty. I sold lot's of gear that I knew the customer didn't need, but it was always at their insistence and contrary to my advice. When that Julia Roberts movie, Stepmother, came out the Nikon F5 was suddenly very popular with moms into photography. At least until they learned how much it cost. Most were actually only interested in a camera that would keep taking photos as long as you kept the button pressed, and since almost all new SLRs had that feature, I was usually able to get them a camera in their budget. But a few insisted on the real deal F5. Sell a few of those and it was a pretty good week. :)
12 years 6 months ago #161077 by Moe
Do you get a discount on photography gear? I'd be curious to know what % discount B&H or Adorama employees get?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #161148 by Stealthy Ninja
Only reason I'd want to work in a photography store is the discount. Otherwise I'd rather be out shooting. ;)

Does sound like the most fun retail job I suppose, but so many dumb people asking questions might get annoying after awhile.
12 years 6 months ago #161361 by I shoot RAW
:agree: discount :banana:

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #161401 by JACC0811
Yeah, I didn't get to find out about a discount. I'm sure it's probably 10% if there is one. If that's the case, and it applies on everything, I see a 1D X in my future, lol.

12 years 6 months ago #161439 by rmeyer7

Stealthy Ninja wrote: so many dumb people asking questions might get annoying after awhile.

You have no idea. If I had a nickel for every time I had to explain that you have to hold the shutter button halfway to auto-focus *before* you take the shot, I could have retired by now. And I'm talking about explaining that to the same people at least a dozen times each, when they come in convinced that their camera is broken/defective but somehow it works when I demonstrate it for them. Not because I'm focusing correctly and they're not, of course...just because the camera decided to work while I was using it but it's broken when they use it. Sometimes I just wanted to ... :slapface:

12 years 6 months ago #161505 by JACC0811
I think I have practice in that area lol. Not only in my automotive and construction background, but also dealing with my wife's grandmother lol.

12 years 6 months ago #161507 by Henry Peach

Stealthy Ninja wrote: ... so many dumb people asking questions might get annoying after awhile.

They ask the same questions we see here. :lol:

I never minded the same old questions from beginners or teaching people to operate their camera. What killed me were established pros who busted our asses over problems caused by their lack of understanding of color temperature or aspect ratio or other things that need to be handled on their end.
12 years 6 months ago #161644 by Stealthy Ninja

Henry Peach wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: ... so many dumb people asking questions might get annoying after awhile.

They ask the same questions we see here. :lol:

I never minded the same old questions from beginners or teaching people to operate their camera. What killed me were established pros who busted our asses over problems caused by their lack of understanding of color temperature or aspect ratio or other things that need to be handled on their end.

Yeh lol, at least online I can always ignore a thread (or let you answer the question ;) ).

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024