photographing on railroad tracks?

12 years 5 months ago #166536 by Lisa JK
I thought the railroad is private property? Why is it I see so many portraits taken on railroad tracks? How is it that these photographers are getting permission or are they just shooting without permission?

12 years 5 months ago #166549 by Henry Peach

Lisa JK wrote: I thought the railroad is private property?

... or are they just shooting without permission?

Yes and yes. :)
12 years 5 months ago #166552 by geoffellis
there must be some legal spots you can take a photograph... such as a pedestrian crossing?
12 years 5 months ago #166556 by Lisa JK

Henry Peach wrote:

Lisa JK wrote: I thought the railroad is private property?

... or are they just shooting without permission?

Yes and yes. :)

Well that explains it. Could the railroad company sue a photographer for taking pictures on the tracks?

12 years 5 months ago #166560 by Lisa JK

geoffellis wrote: there must be some legal spots you can take a photograph... such as a pedestrian crossing?

The only pedestrian crossing would be like where roads cross over. But who owns that section? the railroad company or the town?

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #166561 by Henry Peach

Lisa JK wrote: Well that explains it. Could the railroad company sue a photographer for taking pictures on the tracks?

I don't think they would sue, but they could have the photographer (and subjects) charged with trespassing.
12 years 5 months ago #166562 by serious series
I think railroad companies put up the no tresspassing sign to keep people off the tracks from getting hurt. So if you do get hurt, you can't sue them.

12 years 5 months ago #166565 by Henry Peach
I know a lot of folks who have trespassed on RR tracks, and for many reasons other than taking pics, but I don't know anyone who has actually been charged. As long as you are using common sense, and aren't causing trouble or creating a hazard you are probably safe from prosecution. :)
12 years 5 months ago #166570 by 1919 Vin

Henry Peach wrote: I know a lot of folks who have trespassed on RR tracks, and for many reasons other than taking pics, but I don't know anyone who has actually been charged. As long as you are using common sense, and aren't causing trouble or creating a hazard you are probably safe from prosecution. :)

Yes same here. There is a group of kids in my area who ride their quads on the tracks. As far as I know, no one has been arrested.

12 years 5 months ago #166613 by chasrich
I've noticed that the no tresspassing signs are close to trestles and railway bridges. These are hazardous areas for sure but a stretch of railroad track with no viability problems does not pose much of a danger, Yes it is about the liability I believe.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #166621 by geoffellis

Lisa JK wrote:

geoffellis wrote: there must be some legal spots you can take a photograph... such as a pedestrian crossing?

The only pedestrian crossing would be like where roads cross over. But who owns that section? the railroad company or the town?

incorrect. you can have a pedestrian crossing without a road. theres 2 down the street from me. its just a pathway that goes over the track. gates on each side that open. (the tracks are fenced)
12 years 5 months ago #166644 by Baydream
Check out the legal advice site, especially the section on Rail Enthusiasts Beware

www.ehow.com/about_5564906_railroad-trespassing-laws.html

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #166709 by Vladimir
I've been asked to remove myself form tracks before

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #167037 by Nunya

Baydream wrote: Check out the legal advice site, especially the section on Rail Enthusiasts Beware

www.ehow.com/about_5564906_railroad-trespassing-laws.html

I'm going to pretend I didn't see that :whistle:

Thanks for posting that was insightful :thumbsup:

Don't look at me, I didn't do it :)
12 years 5 months ago #167060 by chasrich
For private property the no trespassing signs have to be posted every XX feet or so. Would a RR sign in Colorado affect me in Florida if all the switches were turned so I was on the direct path? :woohoo: Local laws may not apply in some places. Still I don't want to be responsible for a train wreck.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024