Help I'm missing a screw!!

12 years 5 months ago #168507 by digishutterbug
I know there are some people (my brother in particular) who would say I've had a screw loose for many years, but I have lost a screw in one of the legs of my tripod. I have tried the photography stores around where I live and even the hardware stores, but I can't find one that fits. Does anyone have any ideas for getting a replacement screw? I don't remember what make my tripod is.

12 years 5 months ago #168510 by photobod
surely your tripod has the name printed on it somewhere, otherwise keep trying the diy stores

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #168511 by rmeyer7
You might need to know the manufacturer first. That would probably help you find more technical specs and hopefully find out the exact size screw you need. Or maybe they'll even sell you a replacement screw (no doubt at 5x the price of a hardware store :rofl: )

12 years 5 months ago #168519 by geoffellis
walk into a hardware store and buy one

Screws are pretty much standard. there are probably thousands of sizes and lengths... but i highly doubt any single manufacturer is going to specifically go to a screw manufacturer and say "hey i need a screw that will ONLY fit in MY product" heh. Talk to the hardware customer service and see if they can specially order it (if they dont carry it already). Most hardware stores ive been in will have a device where you can "size" a screw... then you just need to measure the length with a ruler.

of course to do that you need to take out one of your still existing tripod screws... dont lose it though.
12 years 5 months ago #168529 by chasrich
Buy two screws... for a spare of course. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #168632 by digishutterbug

chasrich wrote: Buy two screws... for a spare of course. :woohoo:

I will certainly do that if I find one. I have tried a number of places and can't get one the right length, they are all too long.

12 years 5 months ago #168633 by Shadowfixer1
That's why they make hack saws. Cut it off and dress the end with a file.
12 years 5 months ago #168637 by Dori
:agree:

Make sure you get the correct thread, fine or coarse. You could try Grainger. :drool:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 5 months ago #168681 by Baydream
Great seeing you today, "digi". If you want. I can help you look. Did you check the brand name?

Fasternal has a location on Southlake Blvd. I was able to pick up some "odd" parts there.
www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #168791 by Stealthy Ninja
Don't worry we all have a screw loose here. :toocrazy:
12 years 5 months ago #168834 by chasrich

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Don't worry we all have a screw loose here. :toocrazy:

It's the main reason why I use rivets...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #168878 by Take my pic

digishutterbug wrote:

chasrich wrote: Buy two screws... for a spare of course. :woohoo:

I will certainly do that if I find one. I have tried a number of places and can't get one the right length, they are all too long.

Buy the thread and size you need and just cut off the end of the screw. That is what I do when a screw is too long.

12 years 5 months ago #168889 by Henry Peach
When I need replacement parts for my gear I contact the gear manufacturer.
12 years 5 months ago #168960 by digishutterbug
Thanks everyone. Looks like I may have to buy a long screw, a hacksaw, and a file. Oh and a vice to hold the screw steady while I saw and file. And I mustn't forget a work bench to put the vice on to hold the screw. Can anyone recommend a good tripod. :rofl:

12 years 5 months ago #168971 by Baydream
I can help with the hacksaw, file, vise, workshop and grinder. Just buy a nut to fit the screw. I know, you are missing a screw and I suggest you buy a nut. :toocrazy: Good reason. When sawing off a screw, always have a nut threaded on it. Helps to hold it steady and re-threads the screw when you turn the nut off.
Call or email me if you want help.

I'm beginning to research good AFFORDABLE tripods myself (they must cost less than my car is worth).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024