I'm going to Yellowstone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 years 5 months ago #169821 by crystal
Last night Gary surprised me with a receipt for a hotel room to Yellowstone June 2012! :banana: This is a big deal, because when we traveled across the US for our honeymoon, we made it to West Yellowstone to find out Yellowstone was closed (this was early April). So I've been dieing to go back. So this was my early Christmas/Birthday present. :banana: :banana:

I am so excited!!

:woohoo: :woohoo:

So now I really need to get that gimbal head I want. I was leaning towards a flashpoint head, cuz it's what I can afford. But last weekend I saw a jobu head well design and very sturdy. More then I am willing to spend, but a photographers gotta do what a photographers gotta do. lol

I also need to buy a new lens, because my 18-135 broke.

I wonder if my boss will give me a raise...or a Christmas bonus?????? :rofl:

Heck, I am on here enough, Alex should be so kind and offer to get me the Jobu head since they are also a vendor. :banana: :)

OK, so has anyone been to Yellowstone? Where are the best places to go to photograph anything and everything. lol Where are the boring stuff so I can cross that off the list?

Any advice, suggestions, tips etc..
We are only staying a week, but taking 2 full weeks as we are driving there. Also hope to take a drive up to Glacier National Park too.

I'm so excited, can you tell??? :banana: :banana: :woohoo:
12 years 5 months ago #169822 by chasrich
:banana: :banana: :banana: WOW~ That is a terrific gift. We have been talking about going for several years now. I'm sure you will find things to shoot every where you go. I can't help you with what sights to see but I can get excited over you going - actually I insist on it! :banana: :banana: :banana: :goodpost:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #169867 by crystal
Thanks Charles. Yea we also been talking about going for the past 6yrs. I will be turning 30 in January and I told Gary he has to make it big for my birthday. He has to out do the gallery I have coming up (which starts January 9th and my birthday is January 10th). lol Yellowstone wins. :thumbsup: as a big ass awesome birthday present.
12 years 5 months ago #169882 by Codbra
That is awesome news! :thumbsup: Have fun! I always wanted to go, maybe someday.

12 years 5 months ago #169937 by Richard K Photography
Good for you, I hope to see some photos from your trip. :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #169943 by stevenjdonley
My advice is to take the trails and not drive everywhere. You can actually park at Old Faithful and walk up to Black Sand Basin, Biscuit Basin, Mystical Falls, Fairy Falls, and other places. You will see things along those routes that you normally would not see.

Buy bear spray BEFORE you enter Yellowstone, you will save over $10 on a canister that way!

You can see some of my images from there here and a couple of the final textured canvas prints I'm doing from that trip here.

Enlightenment begins where the pavement ends...

Facebook Page

12 years 5 months ago #169953 by photobod
How exciting Crystal :banana: :banana: :banana: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: dont blame you for being a little giddy over such an awsome trip, I have never been but would imagine it is a large haven of multiple photographic choices, do enjoy and share the photos with us and good luck with the gallery also. :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The following user(s) said Thank You: crystal
12 years 5 months ago #169984 by crystal

stevenjdonley wrote: My advice is to take the trails and not drive everywhere. You can actually park at Old Faithful and walk up to Black Sand Basin, Biscuit Basin, Mystical Falls, Fairy Falls, and other places. You will see things along those routes that you normally would not see.

Buy bear spray BEFORE you enter Yellowstone, you will save over $10 on a canister that way!

You can see some of my images from there here and a couple of the final textured canvas prints I'm doing from that trip here.

Thank you Steven. :thumbsup: I wonder if I can buy bear spray online...I'm sure, one can buy everything online. lol
12 years 5 months ago #169987 by stevenjdonley
Might be able to, but it's illegal to buy in some states! Depending on how you are getting there, I believe it was a Sierra Trading Post in Cody that sold it, which is right outside the east side of the park.

Do have a great time, I hope to go back there next summer to do some more hiking. I just loved getting out in the woods away from the crowds!

Oh, one more thing that many people don't think about. DON'T let you camera stay in the steam from the hot springs/geysers for any period of time. It has sulfuric acid in it which can destroy the electronics and coatings. They are very bad for the camera!

Enlightenment begins where the pavement ends...

Facebook Page

12 years 5 months ago #170019 by Dori
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How wonderful!!! Have lots of fun. I can't wait to see your shots!!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 5 months ago #170073 by Shadowfixer1
Check the moon phase for when you are there. If you're lucky you will have a full moon. The steam vents coming in from West Yellowstone make a cool pic under a full moon. Very eerie looking.
12 years 5 months ago #170178 by Joves
Well good for you and your hubby that you will be able to finish your Honeymoon trip now. Dotn get too close to the buffalo if you get a chance to shoot some, they kill more people every year than bears there.

12 years 5 months ago #170191 by rmeyer7
Awesome, sounds like fun!! I'm sure your photos will be a treat for the rest of us to see too :)

12 years 5 months ago #170206 by McBeth Photography
Great gift! I hope to take Jennifer there next year! Have a good trip! :cheer:

It is what it is.
12 years 5 months ago #170319 by MYoung
You are going to have so much fun. We went there a few years ago and it was so beautiful. You could spend a week there and easily find so much more to explore. Have fun!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024