"Don't Post My Kid's Photo's Online!"

12 years 4 months ago #175734 by Maria21
I ran across this while looking up my podcast list & thought I would share it here... It's worth a listen if you post pictures of kids on your websites...

www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/manners_...et_and_the_law_.html

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 4 months ago #175747 by Armon Photos
Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

12 years 4 months ago #175755 by Baydream
I think this will get her kids excluded from all invitations. Even many of these little kids have cell phones and can post their photos . Do we need to have to post signs at each event - either telling these people photos will be posted or telling then to go away.

The attorney gave a very clear opinion of the aspects of privacy and the law. Can you imagine a family group snapshot with 50 people and you would have to get permission from all 50.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #175794 by effron

Baydream wrote: I think this will get her kids excluded from all invitations. Even many of these little kids have cell phones and can post their photos . Do we need to have to post signs at each event - either telling these people photos will be posted or telling then to go away.

The attorney gave a very clear opinion of the aspects of privacy and the law. Can you imagine a family group snapshot with 50 people and you would have to get permission from all 50.

It will only take one court decision to require that......:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #175850 by Dori

effron wrote:

Baydream wrote: I think this will get her kids excluded from all invitations. Even many of these little kids have cell phones and can post their photos . Do we need to have to post signs at each event - either telling these people photos will be posted or telling then to go away.

It will only take one court decision the require that......:angry:

Yeah, negatively. :angry:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 4 months ago #176163 by Henry Peach
It just seems like common courtesy to me. Treat others like I want to be treated. I would hope anyone would respect my wishes regarding photos of my children, so I will respect theirs.

On the other hand I think most folks invited to our parties understand that I will be taking photos.
12 years 4 months ago #176360 by Joves

Dori wrote:

effron wrote:

It will only take one court decision the require that......:angry:

Yeah, negatively. :angry:

Always! Eventually enough people will want restrictions on photography in public, meanwhile not saying a thing about municipalities that are using cameras everywhere. I even hear one man on C-Spans Washington Journal saying it should be against the law for photogs to shoot on the streets. I think the reason for this is the constant drum beat of paranoia that the media puts out about, terrorists, pedos and the such. I weep for the future of our society.

12 years 4 months ago #176397 by RajShaktiKaur
I so agree, Joves....
Subject that hits close to home for me, last year, my husbands' daughter begged me to take photos of her newborn, and send them to her...
when I got home, so she could have professional photos of the baby for "free"... Of course, I complied, as I do for ALL my kids...I shot
over 500 pictures, and color corrected/cropped each and every one of them for her, before sending them to her... Well....
Naturally, my husband posted some to his facebook page to show the family our newest member... and I got called on the carpet
by her, called every hame in the book,and threatened to sue me, personally... for "going against her wishes"... which were NOt made known to neither her father nor I
Until AFTER we posted them to show our family how happy and proud we were of our newest grandchild...So now, when I shoot pictures of my kids/grandkids, I make SURE
they know I WILL be posting, and if they do NOT wish for me to do so, then to take them out of the picture, directly....and if I am shooting a NON family member and/or their
child, I make them sign a release to avoid ANY misunderstandings... (Thank goodness the rest of our kids
are not like that, because I LOVE putting pics of the grandkids up for my fam/friends to see) But I can see where this could really be an issue,
and cause a very big problem for photographers, EVERYwhere... Hopefully that will NOT happen... (fingerscrossed)

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #176465 by Henry Peach

Joves wrote: Always! Eventually enough people will want restrictions on photography in public, meanwhile not saying a thing about municipalities that are using cameras everywhere. I even hear one man on C-Spans Washington Journal saying it should be against the law for photogs to shoot on the streets. I think the reason for this is the constant drum beat of paranoia that the media puts out about, terrorists, pedos and the such. I weep for the future of our society.

Too late for that. Most Americans are already carrying a pocket HD video recorder. Any of us can set up multi-camera surveillance systems for our homes and businesses for well under $100. The future will be recorded thoroughly, and everyone will get used to it and participate, or hide in their homes with the curtains drawn.

dragonflies8888 wrote: ...last year, my husbands' daughter begged me to take photos of her newborn, and send them to her... Naturally, my husband posted some to his facebook page to show the family our newest member... and I got called on the carpet by her, called every hame in the book,and threatened to sue me, personally... for "going against her wishes"... which were NOt made known to neither her father nor I Until AFTER we posted them to show our family how happy and proud we were of our newest grandchild...

Well that is completely unreasonable and inappropriate behavior from normal adults, particularly from family. We will always have to deal with nuts, but remember that the nutty behavior has more to do with what's going on in their heads than the actions of others. :toocrazy:
12 years 4 months ago #176717 by Stealthy Ninja
I had a picture of my nephew which I edited to make it (IMHO) pretty darned awesome.

Anyway, I sent it to my mum to have a look and my mum showed it to my sister-in-law. She said: "I hope he isn't using this picture without permission on his website."

After this was relayed to me I got pretty mad. Despite me not actually using it for that purpose (this was HER assumption) I felt mad because I took the photo and I edited it and therefore I (felt) I had the right to use it as I saw fit... of course legally I was probably wrong, but that's the way I felt.
12 years 4 months ago #176784 by icepics
You need photo releases for commercial use but not for editorial usage. If the subjects are under 18 I think you need permission to use their photos for any purpose. Schools and youth sports teams etc. have to have permission for photos to be taken during the games/events.

We've already been handling this in the schools, although not related to online use particularly. We sometimes had children whose parents didn't sign photo releases and we had to work out a way at school events to make sure students were not photographed who did not have photo releases on file.

Seems like a similar thing would need to be done at a picnic or birthday party, making sure that people taking photos know ahead of time not to use the ones publicly that are of children whose parents don't want their child's photo used. I don't think people are used to thinking about it ahead of time that they need to ask if photos will be taken and if they will be posted online; it used to be that if someone was taking pictures it was just for their own personal use.

I think the problem with Facebook now it that the photos all seem to be public instead of just for friends. I get photos on my news feed that are people I don't know; if a friend comments on a photo it ends up posted on my page. So I can see why people would not want their kid's pictures posted.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #176903 by Henry Peach
The world is full of people who want to have their photograph taken. There is no need to waste time with those who don't.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024