Bracketing more than 3 shots with Nikon D-90 camera?

13 years 3 months ago #18061 by Tennis Guy
Morning everyone, I have a Nikon D-90 and had the opportunity to use my friends Nikon D-300 yesterday. One of thing things I noticed was that bracketing on the D-300 you could dial in any number of exposures up to 9 while the D-90 I have is limited to only 3.

Is there a way to squeeze out more than 3 bracketed exposures on the D-90?

Thank you in advance!

13 years 3 months ago #18088 by Rob pix4u2
I;ve never tried to do that but if you shoot manual you can bracket an unlimited number just by making your own adjustments.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #18089 by crystal
The D80 you can bracket up to 3 exposures under the bracketing mode. Like Rob said you can do it manually.
13 years 3 months ago #18206 by neal1977
Can't you take your 3 shots bracketed shots at certain exposure, then change your aperture 3 stops down fire off 3 bracketed shots, then go 6 stops the other direction (which would have been 3 up from the original exposure) and then fire off 3 more bracketed shots.

Wouldn't this technically give you 9 exposures?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #18414 by Fiesta!

neal1977 wrote: Can't you take your 3 shots bracketed shots at certain exposure, then change your aperture 3 stops down fire off 3 bracketed shots, then go 6 stops the other direction (which would have been 3 up from the original exposure) and then fire off 3 more bracketed shots.

So what happens if you already at aperture of f4? You won't have the room to to down much further?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #18444 by Rob pix4u2

Fiesta! wrote:

neal1977 wrote: Can't you take your 3 shots bracketed shots at certain exposure, then change your aperture 3 stops down fire off 3 bracketed shots, then go 6 stops the other direction (which would have been 3 up from the original exposure) and then fire off 3 more bracketed shots.

So what happens if you already at aperture of f4? You won't have the room to to down much further?

Technically yes but why not just start with the meter reading and go for your 9 exposures by altering your shutter speed manually and leave your aperture at a constant for proper DOF ? If you change aperture you alter DOF significantly over 9 exposures unless that is the effect you are trying to create. Also depends on the scene you are shooting I guess as to what you are trying to achieve

Bracketed manually same aperture/ altered shutter speed

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024