Future of photography

12 years 3 months ago #188538 by KZAM
I was just looking at the video's on the new Nikon D4. What a engineering master piece this is. Considering all the features this camera has you have to wonder where camera's will be in 10 years from now, heck where will photographers be in 10 years?

Almost looks like understanding of technology will be 80% of what is needed to be a successful photographer and 20% will be skill!

Care to drop your thoughts on this?

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #188586 by Gary Trent photography
It's NOT the instrument, it's how you play it . . . . . . :duel:

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 3 months ago #188590 by Dori
:agree:

That is part of the problem. Too many think the get a high end camera and they are instant pros.

One of my customers has a D90 and high end lenses. His shots are crap.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 3 months ago #188616 by Baydream
At a club gathering last night, there was some discussion of software under development (I think Adobe) that would take an out of focus image and interpolate the data to make the image sharp. When then composition and all the other skills still need to be there. Hand ten people identical cameras/lenses and you will get ten different results, so I agree with Dori and Gary.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #188871 by Dr M
I think photos will become better and better as technology increases, this allows photographers to focus more on the creativity of the photo. Other technologies just make the life of a photographer easier.

LOL imagine seeing Photoshop post processing in cameras?!

12 years 3 months ago #188879 by Corrina
A camera is just a tool. A drill has become better over the years, but it's still a drill.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #189113 by Stealthy Ninja

KZAM wrote: Almost looks like understanding of technology will be 80% of what is needed to be a successful photographer and 20% will be skill!

No, the D4 doesn't have an scene modes and other hand holding features. You actually have to know what you're doing to get the most out of it. In fact i'd say an unskilled photographer will take way worse photos with a D4.

Heck the way I have my camera setup, if I hand it to someone else (who doesn't know what they are doing), they'll nearly ALWAYS take a crap photo. They don't know how to move the AF point, adjust the aperture, SS etc.

For pros and skilled people, it's always better to have more paints in the paintbox (or more tools in the toolbox, however you want to put it).

I actually dislike the idea that some people have that (for example) "A pro can take a great photo with an iPhone". While semi true, given some nice lighting etc. etc. you can get good results from an iPhone. It's a silly argument because the lacking features just restricts people who know how to use the advanced features on a better camera.

Basically if you know what you need, you should know if you need a D4 or not. If you don't KNOW if you need one, then you probably don't.

Corrina wrote: A camera is just a tool. A drill has become better over the years, but it's still a drill.

You made a logical error here (category mistake). A drill is a hole making tool, it's not a sophisticated machine. Your argument is like saying a bicycle is as good as a car because they both have wheels. :P

I know what you mean though. A camera's basic job is a light gathering box. However it's more complicated than that. Much more complicated than drilling a hole. The basic construction and mechanics of a drill bit are the same as they were hundreds of years ago. A camera is vastly different now to what it was even 20 years ago.

So anyway, a better camera is always gonna be a better tool for the photographer, making their job a tad easier to do. Just make sure you actually know what you're doing and don't expect a more expensive camera to magically make your photos better. :whistle:
12 years 3 months ago #189118 by mattmoran

KZAM wrote: I was just looking at the video's on the new Nikon D4. What a engineering master piece this is. Considering all the features this camera has you have to wonder where camera's will be in 10 years from now, heck where will photographers be in 10 years?

Almost looks like understanding of technology will be 80% of what is needed to be a successful photographer and 20% will be skill!

Care to drop your thoughts on this?

Well the camera makers certainly want you to think its 80% their product and 20% your eye.

The D4 is no more the future of photography than the F4 was in the 1990s.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #189121 by Scotty
Having less limits bound by technology, means you can be more creative.

Shoot one of these for a week. Put on ISO 12,800 and shoot in extremely low light conditions.

It'll change the way you make images and you'll NEVER be able to go back.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #189122 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: Having less limits bound by technology, means you can be more creative.

Shoot one of these for a week. Put on ISO 12,800 and shoot in extremely low light conditions.

It'll change you make images and you'll NEVER be able to go back.

Right. :agree:
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #189127 by Scotty

ISO 12,800.

This is ISO 8000 on my D3s.

The D4 will make it even cleaner.

There was no room for a tripod, and a monopod would not do at all. This shot was almost impossible without the technology.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 3 months ago #189133 by Stealthy Ninja
Right, new tech opens doors to those with the knowledge and skills to open them.

Resisting new tech means one of three things:
1. You're poor.
2. You're scared.
3. You're unskilled.

You can't help being poor, but don't be scared and most certainly don't be unskilled.

LOL
12 years 3 months ago #189136 by Photo Mojo
Did you use any noise software in post processing? The shot has some nice feeling of depth to it.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #189138 by Scotty

Photo Mojo wrote: Did you use any noise software in post processing? The shot has some nice feeling of depth to it.

Nope.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #189143 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Photo Mojo wrote: Did you use any noise software in post processing? The shot has some nice feeling of depth to it.

Nope.

Technology wins!

Flawless Victory.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024