Self-Publish Photography Book?

13 years 3 months ago #19016 by teacher_type
I have a series of B&W photos created in the Ansel Adams style. Landscapes and some night scenes. I've been trying to get a publisher to publish a coffee table book of my work - no luck with that. Has anyone out there had any expereince with self-publishing? Is it up to industry standards and is it expensive?

13 years 3 months ago #19031 by Baydream
Wayne Dementi gave a presentation at our club meeting about the books he and his company have published. This site has a "Call us to Help Publishing your book" section.
www.dementimilestonepublishing.com/

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #19196 by photobod
Take a look at www.lovegroveconsulting.com or www.floppychicken.com

good luck

oh and take a look at prophotonut thats damien lovegroves blog, he is just getting into self publishing, thats his site floppy chicken, it may not be up and running yet but soon will be.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #19249 by crystal
You could make the photography book using blurb.com and go from there.
13 years 3 months ago #19251 by crystal

photobod wrote: Take a look at www.lovegroveconsulting.com or www.floppychicken.com

good luck

oh and take a look at prophotonut thats damien lovegroves blog, he is just getting into self publishing, thats his site floppy chicken, it may not be up and running yet but soon will be.

The names people come up with for websites....floppychicken. lmao
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #19258 by photobod

cwightmanphotos wrote:

photobod wrote: Take a look at www.lovegroveconsulting.com or www.floppychicken.com

good luck

The names people come up with for websites....floppychicken. lmao

yeah it sounds hilarious Crystal, but there is a story as to why, apparently someone was talking to him about tripods or monopods I think, and said has your monopod/tripod head ever gone floppy chicken on you, and it was something that stuck in his mind, so when it came to his self publishing site thats what he used.
you have to admit its not one you would forget

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #19441 by odd_oscar
I haven't had a photograph book published but i have a friend who just had a novel published by Lulu. He was very pleased with the result and no, it wasn't overly expensive. His book was about 450 pages long and only cost a little over $12.00 a piece for a print run of 20. Of course, I'm sure photos would be more expensive than B&W text, but here's the website.

www.lulu.com/publish/index.php?cid=en_tab_publish

13 years 3 months ago #19442 by johnm
I, too, self-published my first novel through Lulu last year. But other than the cover, it was all in black and white text.

However, I have a good friend who had wonderful full color photography book published by blurb.com. Of course, he only had one printed so it did cost him about $60.00. But it was professionally done and looked like it came off the art shelf at Barnes and Noble. He was extremely happy with the results. Check them out.

www.blurb.com

13 years 3 months ago #19443 by momma_cass
I believe that Barnes and Noble has a self-publishing service which includes them putting the book on their site for sale.

13 years 3 months ago #19486 by johnroberts
Look into Ebooks. It seems to be a growing field which usually only costs you if the book is sold.

13 years 3 months ago #19487 by over.the.edge
With the economy the way it is, publishers are reluctant to pump money into a book by unknown authors. punch into your search enginer "self publishers." There are many of them. How good each one is, I don't kn ow. Some offer, for slight extra charge, a proof book so you can correct for errors before you print off a whole bunch of them.

13 years 3 months ago #21063 by harris50
One thing I do know. If you havey any copy (i.e., text) in the book, make sure it's edited by a professional. The self-publisher will not correct for errors. What you send is what they print - with no money back guarantee. I learned the hard way.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024