Extended warranty?

12 years 3 months ago #192662 by g1na3
When I bought my camera and was 'pressured' by the salesperson to get their two-year extended warranty. He noted that the warranty would pay for yearly cleanings and suggested this involved taking the camera apart and cleaning it. He suggested this was an important protection.
I only plan to use the camera in normal indoor and outdoor settings, i.e., not climbing mountains or kayaking. What are your thoughts about getting this warranty?

12 years 3 months ago #192666 by Tclean95
Extended warranties have big profit margins and stores often provide sales people with extra $$ incentives for selling them.

12 years 3 months ago #192667 by g1na3
I agree about the high profit margins connected with store-warranties.

12 years 3 months ago #192674 by Baydream
Most consumer advocates seem to agree that extended warranties are not worth it or the companies would not be so anxious to sell them.
One question is whether the "cleaning" and repair would be done by a manufacturer certified center or by "joe in his garage".
I have owned SLR/DSLR cameras for over 40 years and only one has go in for repair (that was a early 80's Pentax ME Super that needed to have seals replaced for about $100). I did have to have a lens repaired that I dropped (about $125 from Canon).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192680 by effron
I won't deal with any company that pushes me, be it photo, auto, insurance, etc., but that's just me.
The camera should be covered my a mfg warranty, and you should insure it under homeowners, etc.....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192686 by john_m
Like already stated, extended warrenties are a money maker for companies such as Best Buy. As far as free cleanings go, I would rather spend the $50 for my local camera shop to do the job instead of Best Buy shipping the camera off and waiting 2 weeks for it to come back lol. But to answer your original question, if you take certain steps like holding the body face down while removing/swapping lenses, you can minimize the amount of dust entering the body.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 months ago #192690 by g1na3
Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like I was a sucker to get the extended warranty. oh well, I guess I will know better next time.

12 years 3 months ago #192693 by john_m
Well you can always say its better safe than sorry....

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 months ago #192694 by Baydream

john_m wrote: Well you can always say its better safe than sorry....

:agree: We all learn that way :unsure: At least you're covered.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192708 by icepics
I've had about the same experience as John (Baydream), only camera repair so far has been a mirror bumper which I replaced myself; only lens damage was from dropping it on concrete (more than once!).

Now at least you'll know next time you buy some camera equipment. I'm sure a lot of us have bought something we realized later we didn't really need.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192715 by shelland
I bought my camera from a local camera shop, and did end up buying one. I wasn't going to, but for some reason at the time to make the decision I did. It wasn't terribly expensive at $150 - ultimately, I decided that with two cleanings included that would make it worth it. And it does include accidental, so if something unexpected happens, then I know I'm covered there too.

I admit I'm still not sure it was the right thing to do - I'll be able to answer that when the warranty expires and I can tell you how many times I used it. :)

Just like many insurance policies - it's a waste of money until you need to use it. :)

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

12 years 3 months ago #192852 by Henry Peach

g1na3 wrote: When I bought my camera and was 'pressured' by the salesperson to get their two-year extended warranty. He noted that the warranty would pay for yearly cleanings and suggested this involved taking the camera apart and cleaning it. He suggested this was an important protection.

I think extended warranties are hooey. So is the salesperson's description of camera cleaning. There is no disassembly involved in a typical camera cleaning unless you count removing the lens and maybe the rubber eye cup on the viewfinder.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024