Copyright sign

12 years 3 months ago #193970 by lokiwolf
Hi everyone, simple question but how do you do the copyright sign that goes on your photos. I have photoshop and I know it can be done but I don't know which buttons to use. Thank you.

:rolleyes

Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened.
12 years 3 months ago #193972 by TheNissanMan
The only way I can remember on a PC is to load charmap which is an inbuilt application and copy and paste it:

1) Hit Start
2) Choose Run
3) Type Charmap and hit run
4) Select the font you want and find the symbol
5) Hit Select, then copy
6) Paste it in the application you want to use it.

A bit of an old school way of doing it and sure there may be easier ways but brain not in gear yet :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: lokiwolf
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #193975 by scifitographer
I got the copyright sign the same way as TheNissanMan.

For photos I have a .psd with my watermark in it. There are two layers in that document, one is the watermark in white, the other in black. So when I'm ready to upload the image to the web I just have to drag whichever color layer I want to my photo.

edit: I think it may also be located in custom shapes in CS5, but that's a pain to deal with for every photo.

12 years 3 months ago #193978 by TheNissanMan
I should have added I cheat and add a script writer so for the shots I want topost to web it's an automated process that resizes, adds a border, exif info and copyright so don't have to go through the whole gumpf everytime :)

12 years 3 months ago #193983 by Henry Peach
Not sure if this is the question, but how to type copyright symbols www.copyrightauthority.com/copyright-symbol/
12 years 3 months ago #193989 by B03b1
Once you are in the Tool section on photoshop and you are ready to type. Hit "ALT 0169" to get the copyright sign

12 years 3 months ago #194092 by icepics
I wasn't sure if you meant using the copyright symbol or a watermark. Putting the copyright symbol on your photo doesn't technically mean the photo is copyrighted, I think you would need to register the photo with the US Copyright Office.

The watermark is your name, logo, etc. that shows a photo is yours and should make the photo unusable by others.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #194104 by lokiwolf
Thank you so much everyone for all the information, it's all been really useful and exactly what I needed.
I'm very grateful everyone.

:cheers:

Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened.
12 years 3 months ago #194105 by Darrell
I copied the mark in note pad and just copy and paste when I need it

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 3 months ago #194154 by Joves
Have you actually registered what you plan on putting the © on. You can apparently now use it without registering, because in the past the time for using it was limited with protection. I do know that even if you have the symbol on you photos in order to have any weight in court you need to register it with the office within a certain time period of discovery of violations. Registering is easy for photos as you can batch register them. And the fee is not that great. Also you already have the Copyright the moment you click the shutter so, putting the symbol on isnt needed. When you do add the symbol it has to read a certain way for example © 2012 Your Name. If you are worried about theft that much then registering photos is the way to go in batches. www.copyright.gov go to the Copyright basics pdf to read the rules on Copyright.

12 years 3 months ago #194155 by Darrell
Your pictures are protected if you register them or not, but saying that there is not a whole lot you can do about it unless they are stolen by a company and they use it. If someone steals one of your pictures and they hang it in thier living room not much you can do. I use watermarks.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 3 months ago #194157 by Joves

Darrell wrote: Your pictures are protected if you register them or not, but saying that there is not a whole lot you can do about it unless they are stolen by a company and they use it. If someone steals one of your pictures and they hang it in thier living room not much you can do. I use watermarks.

Which is very true. That will work for about 99% of the public. For others who know what they are doing WMs are no trouble to get rid of.

12 years 3 months ago #194159 by Dori

B03b1 wrote: Once you are in the Tool section on photoshop and you are ready to type. Hit "ALT 0169" to get the copyright sign

:agree:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 3 months ago #194206 by Baydream
Guess I "cheat" on the copyright symbol. I simply mouse over one (like the one at the bottom of this page), right click and then paste it. © Guess there is no copyright on the copyright symbol :unsure:
I do keep a copy of one in my Documents folder - easier than searching for one. :P

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024