Camera LCD vs Computer screen

12 years 3 months ago #194047 by B03b1
When viewing the picture on the lcd screen on the camera and zooming all the way in I check the focus on the eyes and it appears to be clear but then when I upload the picture and bring it into photoshop the eyes are still clear but not as clear as the lcd screen, why?

12 years 3 months ago #194049 by mcc3d01
You're looking at a 3" screen on the camera which means it will look sharper just because the screen is smaller. Once you view the image full size or near full size you can see far more detail.

12 years 3 months ago #194051 by B03b1
That sounds like a logical reason. Is there anything I can do to the photo in photoshop to make sure the eyes are in focus?

12 years 3 months ago #194053 by Baydream
The picture you see on your LCD is a very low res jpeg (yes, even if you are shooting in RAW). Even on a PC, a photo might look good but when blown up on the print, look crappy. The higher the resolution, the more you can enlarge,

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #194054 by Baydream

B03b1 wrote: That sounds like a logical reason. Is there anything I can do to the photo in photoshop to make sure the eyes are in focus?

Do that at capture. Adjust your diopter (use the wheel next to the viewfinder) and make sure your focal point is on the eyes.

There are cameras in development that will take multiple level photos where you will be able to select the focus in post processing. I'm not fond of that idea but the time will come whne focus is not a big issue. :(

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #194055 by mcc3d01
Resize the picture, save, reopen it and zoom in on the eyes. Resizing and zooming in on the eyes should create the similar approach to what you did on the camera and therefore the eyes should appear in focus. Without a doubt the eyes are probably in focus, it's just you are taking a big photo and pretty much pixel peeping, if you do that, anything is going to look out of focus.

12 years 3 months ago #194057 by B03b1

Baydream wrote:

B03b1 wrote: That sounds like a logical reason. Is there anything I can do to the photo in photoshop to make sure the eyes are in focus?

Do that at capture. Adjust your diopter (use the wheel next to the viewfinder) and make sure your focal point is on the eyes.

Every portrait I take the focus is on the eyes...unless of course a ring/hand or something of that sort is the main focus of the photo.

12 years 3 months ago #194084 by Darrell
If you use auto focus and focus on the eye it should be 100%, now if you manual focus and you have eyes like mine, well good luck...lol

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 3 months ago #194207 by Baydream

Darrell wrote: If you use auto focus and focus on the eye it should be 100%, now if you manual focus and you have eyes like mine, well good luck...lol

:rofl: Like when I forget to take off my reading glasses before looking in the viewfinder and wonder why the dang camera won't focus. Duh.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #194270 by jwlchung
I find that even if you focus on the eye, when viewing full size on the PC it doesn't look as sharp. I usually do some post edits in PS. Try using unsharp mask, then increse the sharpness on the eye, then mask the layer to sharpen the eye... that usually brings back some more details without affecting the rest of the pictures, e.g. skin textures etc... Hope this helps.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024