color printer recommendations?

13 years 3 months ago #19461 by petrovich
Threre are so many ch oices for color printers out there, each one claiming to be the best. How do I choose a good one for printing sharp digital prints?

13 years 3 months ago #19465 by Rob pix4u2
Epson makes good photo printers as well as Canon. I use Epson stylus photo 1280 and 1400 printers and am very pleased with the prints from these two printers.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #19490 by dina.r.coulton
Resolution will be one of the key factors. Try to get one that will do 1440 dpi or more.

13 years 3 months ago #19492 by teacher_type
Decide how big the maximum size print is that you'll want to print and make sure the printer you choose can handle it. If you want prints like 11 x 17 or 13 x 19, you'll meed to make sure you get a wide-format printer. Many printers come with the ability to print from a continuous roll, so you are only limited by the maximum width of the carriage.

13 years 3 months ago #19493 by gutierrez
Make sure you get one with the 7 separate ink cartridges - cyan, light cyan, magenta, light magenta, yellow, photo black and light black. This will give you a much wider range of color shades than the 4 color printers.

13 years 3 months ago #19499 by over.the.edge
Some printers are called dye sublimation printers and their output is fantastic. They use long ribbons of ink that create true continuous tones in your prints. Not just dots of different colors. Be ready to write a good sized check, though. They'll run you a lot more than laser printers and I don't think they can print bigger than 8 x 10 prints yet.

13 years 3 months ago #19506 by johnm
I use an Epson Stylus Photo 2200. It's about 5 years old and still going like a workhorse. If I have to buy a complete set of cartridges at one time, the 7 inks set me back $75 to $100, depending on where I buy them. I think they run $12.95 to $14.95 each at Staples.

That's the bad news. Good news is, they seem to last quite a while. I generally do almost exclusively 13 x 19 prints and I get quite a few before I have to replace inks. Light magenta and light cyan seem to run out the quickest for some reason.

13 years 3 months ago #19558 by Scotty
Canon Pixma 9000.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #19628 by Stealthy Ninja
print lab for serious stuff.

I have a Canon MP990 it's an all in one printer, but it has grey ink for getting good B&W photo prints.

But like I said, I go to a lab when I want a proper print.

BTW here's a picture of the ink cartriges in the MP990 so you can see the colours.

It's not too bad. The grey one is the key here though, if you like B&W.
13 years 3 months ago #19674 by Jeffster
Canon MG6120 is a nice set up that has scanner built into it also

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #19908 by Travel Nut

Scotty wrote: Canon Pixma 9000.

How's that printer on ink? I've seen that printer on sale and thought about picking one up.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024