Do wedding photographers make good money?

9 years 1 week ago #201074 by PMurphy
I know that is a loaded question. But typical wedding photographers, do they make a good living?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 week ago #201077 by Darrell
Most wedding photographers don't do it full time, so making a living maybe difficult to answer, I would say by the time you invest in the proper equipment there is a profit margin..but keep in mind you need good equipment at at least 2 cameras, lens, lights, reflectors, some type of training. It also takes up the prime time in the summer that most people would rather be off. I was doing portrait photography for a long before I got into weddings, and I only do a few weddings a year. Looking at what you have now I would say you need to spend min another $5000+.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.

9 years 1 week ago #201093 by Baydream
The other thing to consider is that most weddings are held on Saturdays (with some on Sundays), so you would be fortunate to get one a week. Darrell is so correct that, in effect, wedding photography is "part time" and you would need to do other work, like portraits, to supplement. The wedding business is also seasonal. June-August is a big wedding season but other times are much slower.
Before the wedding, you spend time meeting the couple and planning. Then after the wedding comes a lot of time post processing and SELLING the client on buying more photos.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

9 years 1 week ago #201102 by Darrell
:agree: :agree:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.

9 years 1 week ago #201292 by Dragonflies
Depends on how good they are. I have USA friends who shoot weddings and one friend charges about $3000 per wedding where as another friend and his wife charge nearly $12,000 per wedding. Experience is the biggest factor to a photographers paycheck.

9 years 1 week ago #201350 by Larrabee
Shooting an individual wedding yes you can make good money, but shoot as a whole not really. As it was already stated, most weddings are held on the weekends and during the nice weather months. A wedding photographer will need another job to help pay the bills.

9 years 1 week ago #201479 by Wyrick Photography

Dragonflies wrote: Depends on how good they are. I have USA friends who shoot weddings and one friend charges about $3000 per wedding where as another friend and his wife charge nearly $12,000 per wedding. Experience is the biggest factor to a photographers paycheck.

I would love to get paid $12000 for a wedding

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments

9 years 1 week ago #201715 by A9 Photo

Wyrick Photography wrote:

Dragonflies wrote: Depends on how good they are. I have USA friends who shoot weddings and one friend charges about $3000 per wedding where as another friend and his wife charge nearly $12,000 per wedding. Experience is the biggest factor to a photographers paycheck.

I would love to get paid $12000 for a wedding

:agree: but with that price comes skill, experience and a 2nd or 3rd shooter who also need experience. Plus to live in an area where clients can afford a 12k wedding photographer.

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021

In this Nikon Z7 II review learn how this new camera is similar to the original Z7 and how it makes improvements upon the original.

Feb 16, 2021

The Sony Cybershot DSC-RX10 III is a highly capable, video-first bridge camera. The question is, is it right for you? Get all the details in this Sony Cybershot DSC-RX10 III review!

Feb 12, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Use this real estate photography gear list to learn about some of the most critical pieces of kit you need to take the highest-quality real estate photos.

Feb 22, 2021

If you aren't sure how to get feedback from clients, check out these simple solutions for your photography business.

Feb 19, 2021

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

Drop shipping your printed photos can save you time and money. But there are cons to consider as well. Get all the details in this guide to drop shipping for photography businesses.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021

Use these real estate photography tips to learn why taking high-quality real estate photos is so important for selling properties.

Feb 18, 2021

Not sure what a follow focus system is? In this tutorial, learn how to use a follow focus system and why you might want want for your video productions.

Feb 18, 2021

Use these architectural photography tips to learn what gear you need, composition tips for improved images, and much more.

Feb 18, 2021