Photography and Art

12 years 2 months ago #203981 by leoDcruz
just a topic from other site...your own opinion counts...

if you apply post processing to a photograph, is it still a Photograph? Or is it an Art?
when does post processing crosses the border between photography and art?

My opinion: post processing of photographs for cropping, levels, balance, and corrections of exposures etc, but no to the extend of changing the main colors and composition..is still a photograph...otherwise adding subject/object, reversing colours or other effects or alike are...Art of Photography..

how about you...what is/are your opinion/s?

life is like a photograph...
you develop from the negatives...

12 years 2 months ago #203983 by Plane Fly
When I think of post processing it is exactly what one would do to develop a photo in the dark room. Adjusting your levels, curves etc.. to develop the photo. Anything past that IMO is no longer a photo.

12 years 2 months ago #203989 by Dimi 1
Photography becomes art when you start messing around with what the photograph really was or is.

12 years 2 months ago #203993 by Darrell
A camera is a mechanical device. It takes photographs. Once you edit that in any form, crop, sharpen etc it becomes art, it is than something you created from the photograph...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #203995 by chasrich
Not all photos are art - just as not all art is a photo...

We begin making something a work of art the second we decide on which lens to use. It becomes art when we start making choices about composition. It even becomes art when we try to come as close as possible to reality. The skill of the cameraman and the photographers ability to pick and use the various tools available to complete the image makes it an art form.

It only becomes a photograph when some one picks up a camera and snaps a shot without a thought about the final outcome - even then one might get lucky and produce some art. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then...:woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #204022 by CONRAD
well said Chasrich :goodpost:
I think if you are shooting with art in mind then it starts before you pick up your camera.
I have thought about a photograph for a long time before I even pick up my camera. Then there is the time when I will be looking through the lens and compose a shot with a art like message that I see.
Then there are times when I just get the nut

Conrad
The following user(s) said Thank You: chasrich
12 years 2 months ago #204025 by Darrell
:agree: I would have to agree that once you make a decission about lens, settings etc, than you are having an effect on the outcome, so it would be art...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #204028 by Baydream
Such a subjective question.
I like the definitions our club uses for competitions.
The first group of categories (Scenic, Nature, Portarit, etc.) contain the following statement. What follows are those that are different.

Quick Check: Does the image look normal? If so then it meets the criteria of "Digital Realism" where enhancements and modifications are allowed to improve the presentation, but without changing the taken truth of the original image.

If your answer is No, then this image should be submitted in the "Altered Realism" category.

Altered Realism
CATEGORY RULES: Images where the photographer can use the full capabilities of photo editing software to enhance the image, while maintaining a realistic looking picture. Elements, such as clouds, plants, animals, people, buildings, etc., from one or more images may be combined into a single image.

Quick Check: Does the image look realistic? If so then it meets the criteria of "Altered Realism".

Creative or Digital Art
CATEGORY RULES: Images that display obvious "Altered Reality". This category is designed to show the creativity of the photographer, as well as his or her skills with image editing. Images in this category will be judged on their imagination, creativity, uniqueness, and editing skills.

Quick Check: Does the image look realistic? If not then it meets the criteria of "Creative or Digital Art".

Rhetorical questions. When does a child's crayon drawing become art? What about DaVinci's sketches?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: leoDcruz
12 years 2 months ago #204040 by leoDcruz
nice one...i got the point now...thanks sir..

life is like a photograph...
you develop from the negatives...

12 years 2 months ago #204061 by icepics
I think the post processing is editing and where it crosses the line into something more is probably subjective. I think if it goes beyond editing the photo it becomes more of an altered photo or a photo illustration; just doing that doesn't necessarily make it art. I think to become art involves a thought process and a purpose as to what you're creating.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #204097 by Henry Peach
Art is the manipulation of nature by a conscious mind.

Photography is using light sensitive materials/devices to create images.

Editing is sorting through a selection of photographs.

There is no such thing as an un-processed or un-manipulated photograph.

"It is rather amusing, this tendency of the wise to regard a print which has been locally manipulated as irrational photography – this tendency which finds an esthetic tone of expression in the word faked. A manipulated print may be not a photograph. The personal intervention between the action of the light and the print itself may be a blemish on the purity of photography. But, whether this intervention consists merely of marking, shading and tinting in a direct print, or of stippling, painting and scratching on the negative, or of using glycerine, brush and mop on a print, faking has set in, and the results must always depend upon the photographer, upon his personality, his technical ability and his feeling. But long before this stage of conscious manipulation has been begun, faking has already set in. In the very beginning, when the operator controls and regulates his time of exposure, when in dark-room the developer is mixed for detail, breadth, flatness or contrast, faking has been resorted to. In fact, every photograph is a fake from start to finish, a purely impersonal, unmanipulated photograph being practically impossible. When all is said, it still remains entirely a matter of degree and ability." - Edward Steichen in 1903

An interesting essay on art, photography, and technology: www.huntingtonwitherill.com/resources/articles_farewell.php

"The word 'art' is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure, for the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics." -Manuel Alvarez Bravo
The following user(s) said Thank You: leoDcruz

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024