Bio on your site?

12 years 1 month ago #210817 by Clicky
Do you have a Bio on your website? Do you think it's a good idea or not to include a bio? If you have a bio, how do you have it written up in 3rd person or as I, me, Myself?

I'm thinking of writting up a bio for my site, but I'm just not really sure. I will have a about page so people know what I offer etc.. but not sure if I should have a bio page.

12 years 1 month ago #210820 by My Boo
I do think it's a good idea to have a bio. Personally when I come across websites, I like to know about the person, their likes/dislikes, etc... Writing it up in 3rd person or as I, really all depends on what you want. People do it differently.

12 years 1 month ago #210823 by Clicky
Thanks, yea I also like reading about people too, it's just that I am no good at writing bios. What should I put in it?

12 years 1 month ago #210824 by IO0R
I would start with some a little more formal sounding, and then get into your love of photography" and your track record as of now. Also instead of saying, I started at the age of... , tell them how many years you have been shooting professionally . It just sounds more mature and confident. Don't talk about your rates, just say to email for estimation or quote. Give them some examples of the shooting situations you have been in, and how it can benefit them. Let them know something about your equipment, and what kind of effects you can offer, and why its important. Keep that last part very simple, or it will bore them. Post albums of previous work so they can get a feel for your style.

This is all opinion, but just wanted to give a my perspective on selling something. You want to wow them, but come off as very down to earth..basically someone thats a pleasure to be around. And as for as actually working with clients, be sociable. Ask them questions about there hobbies and try to relate to them as much as possible. Theres nothing worse than someone just telling you, "stand here, get in between this, etc. If they're having fun, the pictures will usually be better.

12 years 1 month ago #210826 by Clicky
Wow, thank you. Knowing me I would have started it off with I been shooting since the age of 18. lol Thanks so much for your help.

12 years 1 month ago #210829 by Darrell
Excellent ideas, and keep it brief..... :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #210853 by Henry Peach
If you are writing it use first person. If someone else is writing it use 3rd person. I read the popular advice that says write it in 3rd person, and changed mine from 1st to 3rd person. I was amazed by how many people commented negatively on the change. I didn't even realize people were reading it, but as soon as I changed it dozens of people let me know they liked it better before.

Keep biographical facts to a minimum, although if you are running a business people may want a little history of your experience. I think people are more interested in what drives you to take photographs. Tell them why you love photography.
12 years 1 month ago #210887 by Clicky

Henry Peach wrote: If you are writing it use first person. If someone else is writing it use 3rd person. I read the popular advice that says write it in 3rd person, and changed mine from 1st to 3rd person. I was amazed by how many people commented negatively on the change. I didn't even realize people were reading it, but as soon as I changed it dozens of people let me know they liked it better before.

Keep biographical facts to a minimum, although if you are running a business people may want a little history of your experience. I think people are more interested in what drives you to take photographs. Tell them why you love photography.

Thank you. I have seen so many sites where the bio is written in 3rd person and it's hard for me to believe that many people have someone else design/write up their site for it be in 3rd person.

12 years 1 month ago #211896 by manualmode
as for the wording, ask yourself: what is my style? am I the type to describe himself in the third person? If you an easy-going, casual person, then so should you writing style be.. and vice versa..

12 years 1 month ago #212327 by dhawk
Read the bios of photographers that you admire - that can give you some inspiration for the tone you want to set - I like to know my clients personally - I want a relationship with my client that will last not just a customer for the moment and if that's what I'm looking for, I really hope that they are too - so my bio is out there to attract the type of client I'm looking for - marketing myself as a part of my business - mine is brief and sticks to my love of photography and people - not a birth to this moment type bio!

12 years 1 month ago #212334 by Baydream
I have to prepare a bio for a gallery showing this summer. For that one, I will be using 3rd person since it will be presented by a third party (the gallery). For a personal, web site, I want to connect personally with the viewer, so first person.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #212380 by Tamgerine
Third person sounds smarmy and egotistical. Clients on your website picture the words coming from YOU, the photographer. If they're reading an article about you, it's not as strange because they don't see it as you talking to them. Imagine going up to someone in real life and introducing yourself in third person.

A bio is going to depend on what kind of audience you want to go for, who you want to attract and who you want to push away. Also how much of a personal connection you want to make with them.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024