What to do with old 35mm slides

12 years 1 month ago #212258 by Todd Knight
Cleaning out the garage I found a box of old 35mm slides and wondering what is the best way of getting these converted to digital files? Is this something I can do or will I need to send these into a lab?

Would there be a big difference in quality?

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #212276 by icepics
Apparently they make slide holders similar to the film holders for scanners. I guess it would be a matter of comparing the cost of buying one and doing your own scanning or getting them scanned at a lab, and which is a better option if it's a one-time project.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #212301 by Vahrenkamp
Check Wolverine from the bottom, they have what you need

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #212323 by Darrell
I was just a friends birthday party and his wife had done his old slides on a dvd. It was done at Walmart and it was very cheap.
( I know Walmart #@@@$# !! I would rather go to the dentist ) but these were done really well.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #212328 by Henry Peach
You can do it yourself, but between scanning and correcting the scans will be time consuming. If you feel confident in your digital processing skills then it's just a matter of considering your time vs cost of having a lab do it. Scancafe.com gets a lot of good reviews, and they charge less than 25 cents per slide to high res scan and correct.
12 years 1 month ago #212349 by Baydream

Vahrenkamp wrote: Check Wolverine from the bottom, they have what you need

:agree: Wloverine has a 14mp convertor. Free-standing that writes to SD card. Takes time.
Some advertising low prices with lower res (7 mp)
www.scancafe.com/services/slide-scanning

Others offer custom scanning and include dust and scratch removal plus color correction and higher res.
www.shoeboxmemories.net/photoscanning.htm

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: CWphotos
12 years 1 month ago #212782 by CWphotos
Thank you, Todd, for posting this thread! Thank YOU, Baydream, for including the link to Shoebox Memories! Just went to the site to check on costs, and was impressed! High res scans of slides ( choice of Tiff, even! ) for $1.15 each is wonderful!
I sent a slide away one time to have a print made...can't remember the name of the company...and they offered to do a high res scan in addition to the print--for $45! Yes, it was around 10 yrs. ago, but still...
Now, a question along the same line. Does anyone have experience scanning a curled slide, by any chance? A local developer ( who usually did GOOD work! ) allowed one of my rolls to dry too quickly, causing the whole roll to curl some. He mounted them, but the curl is still obvious, and I hesitate to have them scanned. One slide in particular, I'd love to be able to print...one of my favorite double exposures of a scene with a full moon. :angry:
Can anyone advise/help?

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
12 years 1 month ago #212793 by icepics
If it's one particular image, I'd probably go to a local lab and let them take a look at it and see what they can do and see what your options would be.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #212805 by CWphotos

icepics wrote: If it's one particular image, I'd probably go to a local lab and let them take a look at it and see what they can do and see what your options would be.

Therein lies the problem...one local lab, ( that I know of ) and they do very little on-site developing, etc since the world went digital. They've been doing more with scanning themselves from what I hear, so I might give them a call.
Thanks for the suggestion, icepicks!

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
12 years 1 month ago #212808 by Baydream

CWphotos wrote:

icepics wrote: If it's one particular image, I'd probably go to a local lab and let them take a look at it and see what they can do and see what your options would be.

Therein lies the problem...one local lab, ( that I know of ) and they do very little on-site developing, etc since the world went digital. They've been doing more with scanning themselves from what I hear, so I might give them a call.
Thanks for the suggestion, icepicks!

Give Shoebox a call and see what they have to say. Sounds like they are used to dealing with old, faded, scratched, dusty slides - why not curled. Worst they could say is no.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #212809 by icepics
There aren't too many choices left where I live either. I'd probably for something like that want it to go to a place that has enough experience to handle a more specialized scan than someplace where they just run it thru the machine.

Good luck with it.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024