Zip Line Photos

12 years 1 month ago #214162 by Trooo
I'm going to be photographing kids on a zip line next month and I need any tips you can provide. I've had trouble in the past photographing bikes and runners who are moving at roughly a 45 degree angle to my camera. In other words, if they are coming straight toward me or straight across my frame, they are ok, but the others are blurry.

I'd like to impart a sense of motion, so I may try some panning as they go by. The zip lines are several hundred feet long over a ravine, and in the woods.

I welcome any suggestions you might have. There will be 60-70 kids so I'll have an opportunity to try different ideas. The pictures are primarily for the zip line operator.

12 years 1 month ago #214163 by Whyme
What kind of lenses lenses do you have or plan on using?

12 years 1 month ago #214164 by Trooo
I have 18-55 and 85mm

12 years 1 month ago #214165 by Whyme

Trooo wrote: I have 18-55 and 85mm

Those two lenses are not going to help you. Well the 85mm will, because it's a fast lens, but that is the only reason. You need longer focal length zoom lens. Buy yourself a 70-300mm. I would also advice using a tripod.

12 years 1 month ago #214168 by Spin the world
For ideas, search "zip line" on flickr. There are some good shots in there that may give you some ideas you hadn't though of. How you can setup and what kind of shots you can achieve is very much dependent on the location. The 70-300 IS is a nice lens from what I've read.

If you're shutter speeds are fast enough, motion blur won't be an issue. If you want to show motion blur, unless the subject is moving perpendicular to you, you may have focus issues because they may have enough time to travel outside of your depth of field, not to mention camera shake blur even though you are equipped with IS. I'd err on the side of safety and use faster speeds.

12 years 1 month ago #214169 by Spin the world

Whyme wrote: I would also advice using a tripod.

:agree: I think a tripod would be beneficial for the "straight-at-you" shots. You can zoom in long and still shoot at a relatively low shutter speed if you need to. But IS also has you covered here to some degree so I'm not sure it would be as much benefit as it would cost you for this particular shoot. You can shoot with a mid-range aperture or closer to wide-open, and it's outdoors so light shouldn't be a problem. Plus, if you do panning shots where they are perpendicular, it's much easier to handhold, particularly if you don't get a ball head.

12 years 1 month ago #214170 by Trooo

Whyme wrote:

Trooo wrote: I have 18-55 and 85mm

Those two lenses are not going to help you. Well the 85mm will, because it's a fast lens, but that is the only reason. You need longer focal length zoom lens. Buy yourself a 70-300mm. I would also advice using a tripod.

Yea I would figure I would have to pick up another lens for this type of shooting. That was going to be my next question, what focal length, but you already answered it. Thanks.

12 years 1 month ago #214173 by Trooo

Spin the world wrote: For ideas, search "zip line" on flickr. There are some good shots in there that may give you some ideas you hadn't though of. How you can setup and what kind of shots you can achieve is very much dependent on the location. The 70-300 IS is a nice lens from what I've read.

If you're shutter speeds are fast enough, motion blur won't be an issue. If you want to show motion blur, unless the subject is moving perpendicular to you, you may have focus issues because they may have enough time to travel outside of your depth of field, not to mention camera shake blur even though you are equipped with IS. I'd err on the side of safety and use faster speeds.

:goodpost: Thanks. I'll check out Flickr. I actually have an account on Flickr, but never thought about searching for zip lining photos. :thumbsup:

12 years 1 month ago #214190 by chasrich
The longer the lens the less effect the closing distance will have. At the longer lengths you have more DOF.

Try slowing the shutter a bit for the panning shots to give a sense of motion to the background. Again - the longer lens might increase this effect.

I'd look over the environment closely. A dramatic locale can make a huge difference - like a spot where the kid will be in sunlight and the background shaded forest. It might make the exposure and timing a bit tricky but once zeroed in... :woohoo:

This should prove to be a unique experience - be sure to show us your best shots when you get back.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #214324 by icepics
I don't know if this is an paying assignment or job, but I'm not sure how this will go if you don't have the experience at this type thing to have had success at it in the past. If you don't have a longer lens I don't know if you've used a telephoto or not, but if you haven't you'd need to learn/practice with that. And I'd do some looking into lenses, it sounds like you're ready to go out and buy a lens based on a couple of opinions on a message board; not that they aren't helpful but just with a few responses you're getting some varying ideas and will probably need to figure out what will work for you.

I found it took me some time to get the hang of panning and if you haven't yet done that you'd probably need a good bit of practice before you get there with a large group of kids to photograph. Shooting sports I'd often focus on a stationary object and let the action come into view. For sports/action usually a fast shutter speed is needed to freeze the movement.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024