Will you "turn your head" to a "No Trespassing" sign to get a cool shot?

13 years 3 months ago #21421 by Jeffster
I was out walking last night and came across a old warehouse that has been abandoned I think 7 years ago. Anyway there are "No Trespassing" signs all over the place. I'm guessing no one would ever know I was there. However like a chicken I opted not to cross over that line even though I knew I could get a few killer shots from there.

So my conscious got the best of me. Be honest what would you do? If you knew no one would know, would you "turn your head" and play dumb if caught? Or would you keep walking?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21427 by Baydream
With lots of "gun control opponents" around here, I don't dare.You're right, it could have been a KILLER picture. :sick:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21444 by books.are.me
I've stepped over a NO TREPASSING line several times in the past, but only for a step or two. Not more than 5 feet at the max. I'd never go all they way into an abandoned building or large open area. But if I can get, as you say, a "killer" shot by only going a few feet over the line, I will. Unless we're talking guards present or something like that. And I'm always very careful not to disturb anything or leave any trace of my presence.

13 years 3 months ago #21475 by Alex
No Comment :whistle:

Seriously, nah, not worth it. Could be some bums in there itching to get ahold of your camera. Or some trigger happy individual.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21482 by Rob pix4u2
Not worth the trouble of getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time- but I have walked up to houses to ask if I can get a shot I want on someones property with the promise that if it turns out i will give them a print

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #21521 by Conner
Not me, I see a sign like that, I look for alternative shot

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21523 by RajShaktiKaur
Never again! 2 years ago, when the wisteria was in bloom here ... I wanted a really great shot and knew there was massive wisteria down this street where there was a "No Trespassing" sign (you could see down the block)... So, me, my son(who was driving), and daughter drove down the street figuring - the STREET is owned by the CITY, so we can drive on it, just not get out... GUess again... we turned around at the bottom of the street, so I could take my photo... and all of a sudden? There was a pickup in front of us... 2 very large men got out, shotguns in hand... aiming at us... Of course, the 2 women in the car started crying, and my son tried to explain why we drove down the street, thinking it was a city-owned street, etc...we diidn't get out, etc.... they didnt' want to hear it, and just kept yelling at us... I don't know wtf they were doing down there, don't WANT to know... we got out of there... son took a chance and gunned it, maneuvered AROUND the pickup, and I've never been down that street again... although I DID ask a police officer and he did confirm the street IS owned by the city and that we could have filed charges... We were too scared and grateful to escape with our lives, believe me... So nope,. I will NEVER trespass EVER EVER again!!!! :faint:

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21524 by Scotty
All the time. :banana:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21541 by McBeth Photography
Out here in Oregon, I've done it several times. If I see a shot that I want beyond a No Trespassing sign I'll first look for the landowner or homeowner and head straight to their door, knock and ask permission. Most people here are trying to keep hunters away ... not photographers. I even booked a portait shoot from one landowner for later this spring with this method from someone that wouldn't normally seek out a photographer for a photo because he respected the way I asked him for permission.

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago #21632 by crystal
I have many times.

Matter of fact, the road I grew up on was a dead end road in the middle of the country. At the end of the road was trails that led though out the woods, including to a nice cliff over looking the valley. There are many tresspassing signs along the road. From the age of 10 I ignore those signs and took a walk in the woods for many years. When I got into photography I took the camera with me.

On the same road, there are two old horse barns. The one I access when I was about 14. The other barn I access when I was about 19. Both have no tresspassing signs.

I've been ignoring the signs since I was a kid. I don't plan on stopping now, especially when I see a picture I want to take.
13 years 3 months ago #21650 by Shupp98
I won't even tempt going passed a no tresspassing sign. Not worth it. Not only that, if I had a no trespassing sign on my property I would appreciate people to obey it.

13 years 3 months ago #21726 by Todd Knight
There are to many photo opportunities out there to risk getting in trouble

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21730 by Screamin Scott
I have on several occasions. Whether or not I do depends on the situation at hand...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21737 by crystal
Oh, I want to add to my story. (this is how much I ignore signs)
When I was a kid, exploring these trails, there was a rumor that the old lady who own some of the property if she caught you she would pull a rifle on your ass.

Hearing these rumors didn't stop, me or my sister or any other person who decided to go hiking, hunting and now quading/dirt biking on those trails.
13 years 3 months ago #22065 by Happy Hour
Not a chance, I pretty much do things by the book. If there is a shot that I want, I will respect where I'm allowed and not allowed to go, but just hope my zoom lens will get me where I need to me. :toocrazy:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024