If someone takes a photography using my camera, who owns the photo?

12 years 2 weeks ago #219686 by KZAM
I know this is a completely random question. So I was thinking this morning. Let's say you allow someone for what ever reason to take a photo with your camera while you are watching them and that photo get's selected for cover of National Geographic magazine. It's your camera, your gear. You only allowed that person to compose and take that single shot with your camera gear. With all that in mind, who would own the photo and take credit for it?

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #219702 by James L
Good question. I'm not sure but would say the camera owner?

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #219703 by effron
This has been discussed much, the person that takes the photo is the owner, unless there is a written contract....

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ho-owns-the-pictures

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #219708 by boriqua latina
If the camera is set up with the copyrighted information embedded in it, technically it belongs to the photographer that owns the camera because that image is gonna have a metadata file embedded to it which includes all the copyright information of the owner of the camera...

If the person borrowing the camera owns a SDHC card, it wont make a difference cause the images will have all the metadata information stored in it..

So first time you get a camera that is the first thing you should do...

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #219712 by orion
I never knew that Adriana! But the way my camera is set up, it doesnt have my name on, i thought metadata only holds camera info.....lens, exposure etc? But on some cameras if saves the owners name (ie Canon 60d) but mine doesnt (nikon d90)

In film days when i worked for the Fire service photographic.....i used fire service photographic equipment, but i was employed by the fire service to do a job, i had to sign a contract whereas the fire service owned any photographs that were taken.

I would agreed with effron....and i would also say that this topic was covered some months ago.

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #219713 by MajorMagee
Copyright law protects the person who created the artistic content. Strictly speaking, the fact that the camera automatically applies your copyright information to someone else's work product is a violation of the law. Ownership of the tools being used has no part whatsoever in copyright law, otherwise Microsoft would own the copyright to any anything ever written using Word, since they never release ownership of their software, but just allow their customers a limited license to use it.

Of course you can always sign away your rights by contract, and many employers force people to do just that as a condition of employment.

12 years 2 weeks ago #219726 by Monster

MajorMagee wrote: Copyright law protects the person who created the artistic content. Strictly speaking, the fact that the camera automatically applies your copyright information to someone else's work product is a violation of the law. Ownership of the tools being used has no part whatsoever in copyright law, otherwise Microsoft would own the copyright to any anything ever written using Word, since they never release ownership of their software, but just allow their customers a limited license to use it.

Of course you can always sign away your rights by contract, and many employers force people to do just that as a condition of employment.

That doesn't make sense. If someone takes my camera and fire offs a shot of a tree, I can't see how this would be breaking any sort of laws because my camera automatically copyrights the photo. It's my camera.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #219733 by geoffellis

Monster wrote: That doesn't make sense. If someone takes my camera and fire offs a shot of a tree, I can't see how this would be breaking any sort of laws because my camera automatically copyrights the photo. It's my camera.

Its only "illegal" in the sense that you are technically (automatically) claiming ownership/copyright of someone else's protected "works". I very much doubt you would lend a friend a camera and they would turn around and sue you for copyright infringement... but ya never know. I think this would be more of an issue if a camera rental service rented cameras with this data filled out.

But anyways, Regardless... in the absence of a contract, the "photographer" who took the picture... as in composed the shot, pressed the shutter release... is the copyright owner. There really isnt any debate on that matter.
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #219779 by Stealthy Ninja
I say it's the photographer.

Look at a very famous photographer named "Annie L." I won't say her full name, because I have a penchant for making famous people mad for some reason.... LOL. Apparently (and so I hear) she has an army of assistants and workers who set up everything, get the lighting right, frame everything right on the tripod, pull the focus etc. etc. Annie comes in, presses the shutter button... THE CROWD GO'S WILD!

ANNIE IS SO TALENTED! :rolleyes

So that establishes that the person/people who set it all up don't own the copyright.

Now, how about ownership of the camera.

Unless what Adriana says is true (which it could be, I dunno) ownership of a camera obviously doesn't mean you own copyright on the images, or else camera rental houses would have a lot of suing to do.
12 years 2 weeks ago #219829 by geoffellis

Stealthy Ninja wrote: because I have a penchant for making famous people mad for some reason.... LOL. Apparently (and so I hear)

Sounds like there is a story there... care to share? lol
12 years 2 weeks ago #219844 by Stealthy Ninja

geoffellis wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: because I have a penchant for making famous people mad for some reason.... LOL. Apparently (and so I hear)

I trolled a major photography troll blogger. Let's just leave it at that. :banana:
12 years 2 weeks ago #219879 by chasrich
Let's say I have a rifle. I set up the scope on it and load the cartridges. I have it braced and aimed on a target and someone else trips the trigger and the bullet kills someone... I'm thinking both would be given some measure of credit for the crime.

Even more convoluted lets say another photographer makes the actual shot using a radio remote that happens to be on the same frequency - oops! Who gets the award?

Possesion is 9/10ths... We might need a judge for this one. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 weeks ago #219887 by MajorMagee
We can always create some improbable combination of circumstances to muddy the issue, but the underlying principle is pretty simple. If it's your creative effort then your work is protected by copyright unless you freely choose to give up those rights.

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #219892 by Henry Peach
In America the photographer, usually defined as the person operating the camera, is automatically the copyright owner unless agreements have been made that state otherwise. For instance if you are in the employ of the US Government you may have signed a form stating that any photos taken on the job are public domain.

It doesn't matter what the camera thinks. ;)

Even with automatic copyright it's best to register copyright with the Library of Congress if you really want to protect it.
12 years 2 weeks ago #219941 by Stanly

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

geoffellis wrote:

I trolled a major photography troll blogger. Let's just leave it at that. :banana:

:watching: LOL!!

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024