Stressful jobs that pay badly - Report from CNN that shows commercial photographer is #8

12 years 2 weeks ago #220050 by Hamtastic
So it looks like Commercial photographer is #8 out of 15 stressful jobs out there. Median pay: $43,600? That isn't as much as I thought they would make. But then again that is "median".

money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/pf/0910/gal...tressful_jobs/8.html

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #220084 by Joves
Yeah okay whatever. Im sorry but I dont see any of those jobs as stressful. Working in the construction industry beats those easily and the pay is worse much of the time. This is especially true if you are in the heavy end of the industry which has deadlines and on some projects fines for going past deadline. Then there is managing crews, subcontractors and logistics of materials and scheduling all of that. For what I do since I drive essentially a commercial truck I have to worry about loads and whether so much as a light bulb burns out while Im going down the road, because the Feds have changed the regs where even a repair order now goes on my permanent record. Then there is just operating my equipment and having to worry about if there are any hidden dangers underground that I could punch and outrigger through or if the ground is hard on top but soft underneath possibly tipping my rig over. And then there is the concrete supply being interrupted or delayed with mud in the system and setting up. Also there are chances of equipment breaking down in a pour or blockages that delay the work, which on some jobs is figured in thousands of dollars per minute. I would gladly take their trivial mental stress over the both physical and mental stress of my industry and make hat kind of money consistently, especially now with this booming economy.

12 years 2 weeks ago #220095 by geoffellis
Ya... Ive worked in restaurant management... I would say that it has to be more stressful than most, if not all of those jobs and the pay, in my experience, is generally even less than most of those listed. Aside from normal people wanting perfect food right away... you also have the assholes and jerks... staffing shortages makes everyones job more stressful (not uncommon)... and then when you encounter a robbery... or a power failure, or some mechanical equipment malfunction... hell ive had gas fryers catch on fire. there is so much stress involved. Restaurant Managers and Owners always seem to look decades older then they are... at least if they have been in the industry for years. My first owner was just over 50 years old... but he looked 70-75! The first restaurant manager I had was 45... he looked 55+! Hell Im 27 and after 8 years I started to see my hair thinning. Most of the men in my family have pretty good hair very late in their years... :/
12 years 2 weeks ago #220173 by crystal
OK, so two people above say their jobs are more stressful then what was listed. Well, have you ever tried those jobs that were listed for at least a year? I am sure there is more involved in those jobs then you think for the reason they are stressful. Just because you are unfamiliar with a specific job and very familiar with yours, don't down a job to say those jobs are not as stressful as yours until you walk in the shoes of that job.

Hamtastic, honestly I am not surprise of the average pay for commerical photographers. That pay for my area, would be a good income, but for NYC you need to be on foodstamps. lol
12 years 2 weeks ago #220187 by geoffellis

crystal wrote: OK, so two people above say their jobs are more stressful then what was listed. Well, have you ever tried those jobs that were listed for at least a year? I am sure there is more involved in those jobs then you think for the reason they are stressful. Just because you are unfamiliar with a specific job and very familiar with yours, don't down a job to say those jobs are not as stressful as yours until you walk in the shoes of that job.

I dont need to have worked in those jobs... the numbers speak for themselves. on most of those jobs less than 70% state that their job is stressful. While that is not a /small/ number... There are definitely jobs that pay less with higher degrees of stress.

And for your information... the article posted is from a PayScale survey done in 2009. If you look at the most recent release of most stressful jobs (PayScale 2011)... No Surprise... Assistant Restaurant Manager is listed... with a whopping average annual pay of 33,000$

but im sure we can all go around finding lists with the results we want...
12 years 2 weeks ago #220280 by Joves

crystal wrote: OK, so two people above say their jobs are more stressful then what was listed. Well, have you ever tried those jobs that were listed for at least a year? I am sure there is more involved in those jobs then you think for the reason they are stressful. Just because you are unfamiliar with a specific job and very familiar with yours, don't down a job to say those jobs are not as stressful as yours until you walk in the shoes of that job.

Hamtastic, honestly I am not surprise of the average pay for commerical photographers. That pay for my area, would be a good income, but for NYC you need to be on foodstamps. lol

Why yes I have worked similar office type jobs like that and the most stressful thing about them is the is other people pissing in your Wheatties. The only other thing is they are rather mundane jobs with no good feeling about having accomplished something, excluding the teaching of course. But those jobs are pretty much what they call lock jobs where once you are in and doing what needs to be done you are guaranteed a steady income and benefits. I personally can not work those jobs because of the political games people love to play in them, which is why I do what I do. I can also bet you that those jobs can count on one hand how many times they have had to work 70+ hour weeks on one hand.

12 years 2 weeks ago #220456 by Vahrenkamp
Perhaps the photo journalist who have bullets flying over their head while they cover some war over seas. But this as stressful? :blink:

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #220464 by geoffellis

Vahrenkamp wrote: Perhaps the photo journalist who have bullets flying over their head while they cover some war over seas. But this as stressful? :blink:

While im sure that is stressful... they dont make up the bulk of photojournalist careers

I however, have had knives pulled on me, threatened with "guns" people have under their shirts... ive seen several people stabbed right in front of me... ive had employees get assaulted from drunk people. I have had countless people try to assault me because ive refused them service. Had one guy bring his own alcohol onto the premises and started throwing his empties when told him he needed to leave. I even had a crazy bum begging outside pull a long sock filled with rocks or something when i tried to kick him off the property.

This (and more) is all while working in the restaurant industry.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024