Clients looking for a "Cheap" photographers

12 years 2 weeks ago #220220 by ShutterGuy
LOL I just got one of those calls. Someone looking for a "cheap" photographer to cover a corporate BBQ in July. :rofl: Half the time I have no idea what to say to people like this. Seriously that is one word that just bugs me. I want to ask them "what is the last thing you bought that was great, that you bought because it was cheap"?

Ok... back to work I go. But would like to hear how you answer people when they are looking for "cheap" photographer for hire?

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #220226 by silvereagle135
If they are corporate shouldn't they be able to afford at least a "reasonably priced" photographer? Tell them to find an amateur if they want cheap, or do it themselves. I think since everyone has digital these days they think "oh well it's free for you". Nevermind that you don't want to spend your Saturday in the heat shooting a bunch of office goons eating BBQ ribs.

Some people... :slapface:

12 years 2 weeks ago #220227 by Darrell
Oh my Gosh !!
I would send them to Craigslist. :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 weeks ago #220231 by ShutterGuy

Darrell wrote: Oh my Gosh !!
I would send them to Craigslist. :beerbang:

That's what I told them! :rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #220237 by NikaTraveler
I'm such a pushover I'd probably hear them out and see what they wanted to pay. :rolleyes

changetheverb.com ~Learning to Live Differently
12 years 2 weeks ago #220268 by Sandy Smith Photos

NikaTraveler wrote: I'm such a pushover I'd probably hear them out and see what they wanted to pay. :rolleyes

Well you could do that and then meet them in the middle

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #220284 by Joves
Well I would ask them can I get your goods or services below your price? I am sure their answer would be no, and then ask why do you think my prices should be cheap for you. And as you said what thing have they bought cheap that was any good? This is why Im not in the photo business because quite frankly I would be blunt to people when they try to go bargain basement on my work. If you were to do that then you might as well wear a Blue Light on your head and stand outside of K-Fart.

12 years 2 weeks ago #220378 by Superman
OH man I'm the same way. I get annoyed at the same time find it funny how people think.

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #220478 by Henry Peach

ShutterGuy wrote: I want to ask them "what is the last thing you bought that was great, that you bought because it was cheap"?

We all think this, but never be foolish enough to let it through your lips. If you have a good sales pitch that explains why you are worth your rates go for it, but don't bother explaining why the other guy charging less sucks. Just state your prices politely and professionally, and be done with it. You aren't going to get any business by telling someone that they are a cheapskate.

We all go shopping for bargains. Sometimes we don't know (or think we know) the going rates, and need to shop around a bit to catch on. Sometimes we even learn the hard way by going with the first cheap price we find. That's how we learn, not from a sales person lecturing us on our spending habits.

The best you can count on is:

1) Waste as little time as possible, because these folks really aren't your clientele.

2) Leave a good impression in case they wise up, and realize they may have to pay for decent photography.

Most of the time I never hear from these folks again. Occasionally they do call back and hire me after they've gone through some cheaper photographers.
12 years 2 weeks ago #220495 by I shoot RAW

Henry Peach wrote:

ShutterGuy wrote: I want to ask them "what is the last thing you bought that was great, that you bought because it was cheap"?

We all think this, but never be foolish enough to let it through your lips. If you have a good sales pitch that explains why you are worth your rates go for it, but don't bother explaining why the other guy charging less sucks. Just state your prices politely and professionally, and be done with it. You aren't going to get any business by telling someone that they are a cheapskate.

We all go shopping for bargains. Sometimes we don't know (or think we know) the going rates, and need to shop around a bit to catch on. Sometimes we even learn the hard way by going with the first cheap price we find. That's how we learn, not from a sales person lecturing us on our spending habits.

The best you can count on is:

1) Waste as little time as possible, because these folks really aren't your clientele.

2) Leave a good impression in case they wise up, and realize they may have to pay for decent photography.

Most of the time I never hear from these folks again. Occasionally they do call back and hire me after they've gone through some cheaper photographers.

Good advise :goodpost:

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #220503 by john_m
Im on the fence with this one and depending what "cheap" was would have determined my answer. I dont shoot for a living, so I may have actually taken the job to make a little side money and to get the exposure.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024