What other photographers have influenced you the most?

13 years 2 months ago #22156 by Scotty
Personally probably Dave hill, and a tie between william neil and peter lik.

What about you guys?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #22160 by Karl Wertanen
Good post!
I dont try to shoot like these people, but compositionally, they opened my eyes to the world through the lens. As you can tell, most of these names pull back to the 90's which is when i started (96). I took a long break after suffering from a creative block (probably because i was trying too hard) came back 10 years later (a little over a year ago) rejuvenated and seeing things my own way and not concerned about making my photographs look like somebody else's. I dont think i even looked through other people photographs in that time period which may have even helped me see things the way i see them now, thus creating my own visual style that is not shaded or stamped by other people's styles.... Donno..... What comes out, just comes out. But these guys were my favorites. My #1 stands alone at the top for me and the rest are a little ways back.

1. Galen Rowell

2. William Neil

3. Art Wolfe

4. David Meunch

5. John Shaw
13 years 2 months ago #22164 by Baydream
Galen Rowell and Dewitt Jones

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22167 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote: Good post!
I dont try to shoot like these people, but compositionally, they opened my eyes to the world through the lens. As you can tell, most of these names pull back to the 90's which is when i started (96). I took a long break after suffering from a creative block (probably because i was trying too hard) came back 10 years later (a little over a year ago) rejuvenated and seeing things my own way and not concerned about making my photographs look like somebody else's. I dont think i even looked through other people photographs in that time period which may have even helped me see things the way i see them now, thus creating my own visual style that is not shaded or stamped by other people's styles.... Donno..... What comes out, just comes out. But these guys were my favorites. My #1 stands alone at the top for me and the rest are a little ways back.

1. Galen Rowell

2. William Neil

3. Art Wolfe

4. David Meunch

5. John Shaw

Art Wolfe is a power house.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22217 by moneyman
Alfred Stieglitz

Imagine doing work of that caliber in 1894? Puts my efforts to shame.

Attachments:
13 years 2 months ago #22221 by Rob pix4u2

Baydream wrote: Galen Rowell and Dewitt Jones

And a local photographer by the name of Earnest Coleman for sports action

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 2 months ago #22235 by Scotty

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

Does he have a site?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22342 by Rob pix4u2

Scotty wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

Does he have a site?

He works for the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper for quite a long time. A great influence for me as far as style, met him several times while shooting sports in the 90s . Don't know if he has a site or not

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 2 months ago #22657 by crystal
I would have to say no one. I like alot of photographer's work, but non influenced me. Not that I haven't found anyone who is good, there are alot who are. I just do my own thing. :banana:
13 years 2 months ago #22662 by Baydream

cwightmanphotos wrote: I would have to say no one. I like alot of photographer's work, but non influenced me. Not that I haven't found anyone who is good, there are alot who are. I just do my own thing. :banana:

My influences are not so much in style and technique, but in attitude and inspiration. Rowell for his unbounded energy and Jones for his inspiration and "vision". His web site has remarkable photos along with amazingly insightful looks inside the photographer.
ww.dewittjones.com
His Celebrate life series is stunning.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22829 by Scotty

Baydream wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote: I would have to say no one. I like alot of photographer's work, but non influenced me. Not that I haven't found anyone who is good, there are alot who are. I just do my own thing. :banana:

My influences are not so much in style and technique, but in attitude and inspiration. Rowell for his unbounded energy and Jones for his inspiration and "vision". His web site has remarkable photos along with amazingly insightful looks inside the photographer.
ww.dewittjones.com
His Celebrate life series is stunning.

Going to take a peak ;)

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #23013 by jch
I'd have to go with Alfred Eisenstaedt.

13 years 2 months ago #23294 by Todd Knight

moneyman wrote: Alfred Stieglitz

Imagine doing work of that caliber in 1894? Puts my efforts to shame.

That is just amazing! Love this photo

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #23305 by Britt340
Jay Kelly

13 years 2 months ago #23314 by L44Loo
Me, myself and Irene. lol

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024