TSA and your camera gear at airports?

12 years 3 weeks ago #222890 by Photo Mojo
This was the first time that I flew with my entire camera bag. I had a small wedding to shoot up in New Jersey. Anyway on the way there and on the way back, both times going through security they flagged me and started going through my camera bag and wiping it down with chemical sensing rags.

If this just happened one way I wouldn't make much of it, but it happened both times and has me wondering do others get flagged when they travel with camera gear? For the record I'm clean shaved and well dressed.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #222891 by John Landolfi
It varies. I fly with my gear a few times each year, and I have been treated to the full, intrusive search, as well as completely ignored. Makes you wonder how effective all of this can really be. Last time, they passed me, with a Billingham 550 with side bags crammed full of gear, through without so much as a look, and they made my wife open her little (Lumix) bag and gave that the third degree. Go figure...:)

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #222903 by Photo Mojo
We'll I don't feel to bad now. But still it has me wondering. I guess I'll see what happens next time I fly.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #222913 by Joves
TSA is a joke and an abomination. I will not fly anymore because of them.

12 years 3 weeks ago #222972 by geoffellis
Well... when I flew international to Sydney Australia, I had no issues... either at the departure gate in Vancouver, or at arrivals in Sydney. However when I flew Sydney to Brisbane (Domestic) a few hours later, I got flagged. LOL

But did anyone else see the news article about the american man fed up with the TSA the other day? He stripped down nude in the screening area as a protest of the TSA
12 years 2 weeks ago #222992 by effron
Since 911 I've probably flown twenty or so times, and have yet to have my camera backpack even opened. A couple times I have taken my laptop, and it needed to be turned on every time but the camera gear skates. I must look harmless......:)
Although I have zero problems with TSA, I've seen some pretty amazing things and a lot of the staff are totally stupid and useless at best, and borderline criminal at worst.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #223088 by rmeyer7

effron wrote: ... a lot of the staff are totally stupid and useless at best, and borderline criminal at worst.....:angry:

YES. Not too long ago I had a layover in Chicago where the TSA agents didn't know I was allowed to bring a carry-on bag plus a "personal item" that could be a laptop case, camera bag, etc. They said I would have to check one of the items. I pointed to a sign that was literally *right in front of them* that said I could carry them both on the plane. They still wouldn't listen to me. So I stuffed my laptop inside my carry-on bag right in front of them and walked through the gate. Idiots.

12 years 2 weeks ago #223152 by Happy-pixel
I fly often and it's a complete random act if you ask me. Or unless you just look suspicious. I've been searched a couple times too, but as annoying and inconvenient as it might be. It's for our safety, so I'm good with that.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #223160 by John Landolfi

rmeyer7 wrote:

effron wrote: ... a lot of the staff are totally stupid and useless at best, and borderline criminal at worst.....:angry:

YES. Not too long ago I had a layover in Chicago where the TSA agents didn't know I was allowed to bring a carry-on bag plus a "personal item" that could be a laptop case, camera bag, etc. They said I would have to check one of the items. I pointed to a sign that was literally *right in front of them* that said I could carry them both on the plane. They still wouldn't listen to me. So I stuffed my laptop inside my carry-on bag right in front of them and walked through the gate. Idiots.

Same experience, different gear...:nunu:

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #223187 by Baydream
A few years ago I had them swab my film cartridges but the only other "photo" delay was well before 9/11 in England when they asked me to remove my 28mm lens from my Pentax ME Super to look inside. All my flights since then have been no issue.
TSA does have (or had) an "every so many" rule at some airports where every say, 20th person, got a more thorough check.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #223331 by Number 7
I've flown a number of times with gear and I've been pulled aside once. Pretty harmless, more annoying when you are running late to your flight!

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #223344 by digishutterbug
I have had no problems leaving USA, but for years in the UK they would not let me take a carry on an another bag. This year I saw the the airlines carry on policy when I was printing my boarding pass so I printed it out to be prepared and call them on it. Wouldn't you know, this time no problem got backpack and purse on no problem! Go figure!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024