How to photograph golf swing?

11 years 11 months ago #228852 by Mike Ayrouth
Any idea's how I can set up my camera to take still shots of my golf swing? I'm looking for the camera to trip the shutter almost like a time lapse through out my swing. Is this possible and if so how?

Thanks!

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #228858 by Prago
You could always set your camera up on tripod and record in video mode. Or you could have a timed remote going off with shutter going off a rapid mode?

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #228884 by Mike Ayrouth
That's what I'm looking for, something to keep the shutter down while I'm swinging

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #228917 by icepics
Not sure how you'd set it up but Edgerton pioneered it, there's a golf shot about halfway down the page -
edgerton-digital-collections.org/galleries/iconic/page/2
and a photo of his set up, middle column of photos -
edgerton-digital-collections.org/?s=golf
or you coutd search the site. A lot has been modeled after his techniques.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #228990 by CatherineW
Do what my husband does. He makes me take them! Easiest is just have someone take the shots for you.

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #229081 by Henry Peach

Mike Ayrouth wrote: That's what I'm looking for, something to keep the shutter down while I'm swinging

A cable release could do this, but I think a helper would be easier.

A cable release with an intervalometer would allow you to have more control and settings other than on & shooting or off. Some cameras may have intervalometer controls built in. CHDK software for Canon Powershot cameras offers it.

I have an old Graph-check sequence camera designed for photographing golf swings. It makes 8 sequential exposures on a sheet of 4x5 film (they probably used Polaroid at the club). I assume all the golf teachers are using digital cameras today.
11 years 11 months ago #229119 by No Show
I'm playing 18 holes this weekend. I hope the weather works out!

I'm going to agree with Henry, get a helper to make your life easier on this one.

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #229139 by Joves
Get one of those cheesy strobe lights and try different flash speeds with lower ISO settings and stopping down your aperture. In this case it will work with low ambient lighting, you also want to set the camera lens to the distance you will stand and then have it set to manual for your focusing after that. You can put a piece of tape on the floor as you mark. But with the strobe flashing at a 1 second or greater exposure it will give you plenty of time to complete the swing and capture it. Just play with your settings on both your camera, and with the strobe itself till you get the desired exposure. That is how Edgerton got the effect, those strobes have been used forever to get that type of motion.

11 years 11 months ago #229172 by Fitch
Couldn't you use a laser beam trigger of some sort? Once the club breaks a certain mark it triggers the shutter?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024