Pin Hole Cameras?

13 years 3 months ago #23051 by autumng
I seem to remember my grandfather talking about a pin hole camera before he passed away. Can anyone tell me just what that it? Can you still buy them?

13 years 3 months ago #23058 by Baydream
There was a thread recently on the world's largest pin hole camera. Use the search feature and check it out.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #23129 by Stealthy Ninja
13 years 3 months ago #24834 by windy_wendy
A pinhole camera is a box or a can pinted black inside. A cover is attached with a pinhole punched into the cover. I don't think it's something you buy. My understanding is that you make it yourself.

13 years 3 months ago #24835 by quilleran
windy-wendy's right. You make it yourself. A pinhole camera lets in light very slowly so exposures are exceptionally long. They're loaded in the dark. There's a cover on the opposite side of the film I don't know the physics of it but somehow the scene projects itself on the film. Then you develop the film in a normal way. The images are beautifully soft and appealing, almost dreamlike.

13 years 3 months ago #24836 by johnm
The question and comments about the pinhole camera reminded me of the Camera Obscura used by some of the Master Painters of the Middle Ages. If my memory serves, the Camera Obscura was a lightproof room with a tiny hold on one end. The hole allowed an image from many feet away to be projected on the opposite wall. The artist would then trace the image onto the wall with charcoal. Using the tracing he would then transfer the image onto a canvas which he would then paint. I find that amazing.

13 years 3 months ago #24872 by Yasko
A company called Zero Image makes some outstanding wooden pinhole cameras for virtually any film size, 35mm to 4x5.

They're not as expensive as one would think. Most models go for well under 250 dollars.

www.zeroimage.com/web2003/EntryPage/entryFrameset.htm

Some examples of what these cameras can do:

www.flickr.com/photos/zebandrews/sets/72057594048753181/

I want to get a 6x9 zero image someday.

13 years 3 months ago #25659 by detective
The fun thing about pin hole cameras is that you can easily build one at home for every little money. Or you can buy one already completed, I believe. Put "pinhole cameras" in your search enginer or go to the following Wikipedia link for more information:

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_camera

13 years 3 months ago #25662 by yancy.camp
The question and comments about the pinhole camera reminded me of the Camera Obscura used by some of the Master Painters of the Middle Ages. If my memory serves, the Camera Obscura was a lightproof room with a tiny hold on one end. The hole allowed an image from many feet away to be projected on the opposite wall. The artist would then trace the image onto the wall with charcoal. Using the tracing he would then transfer the image onto a canvas which he would then paint. I find that amazing.

Sounds about right. some artists rigged up a mirror as the image of the wall was reversed. Other artists had portable Obscuras which they set up where the scene greabbed their interest.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024