Best beginner guide?

11 years 11 months ago #232069 by GiraffeSpots
So I finally got myself a DSLR and my head is spinning with all the new features. I tried to sit down with the manual but I can't focus on it! Av? Tv? P? ISO? I have no idea... I need something more visual and plain English to learn.

Help! :silly:

11 years 11 months ago #232085 by Baydream
My Canon 60D came packaged with a DVD and Basic Controls (there is a second volume). This one runs 106 minutes and covers all the basics extremely well. It is from Blue Crane Digital. They have them for selected Canon and Nikon cameras and Speedlights, plus other subjects.
bluecranedigital.com/

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #232143 by John37
Youtube has lots and lots of content for you. :thumbsup:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 11 months ago #232172 by Misti Tracy

GiraffeSpots wrote: So I finally got myself a DSLR and my head is spinning with all the new features. I tried to sit down with the manual but I can't focus on it! Av? Tv? P? ISO? I have no idea... I need something more visual and plain English to learn.

Help! :silly:

Hi GiraffeSpots! I've come to learn that the manual is good for finding settings on your camera, but it's not a very good teacher by any means. Is there something specific you'd like help with to get started? It sounds like you're shooting with a Canon?

Av mode is Aperture Priority and it's a semi-auto mode in which you to set an aperture and the camera automatically sets the shutter speed for a good exposure. This a good setting to use when you want to control depth-of-field--whether the entire photo is in focus, or the background is blurry.

Tv mode is Shutter Priority and it's also a semi-auto mode in which you set the shutter speed and the camera automatically sets the aperture for a good exposure. This is a good setting to use when you want to freeze motion.

P mode is Program mode and it's an automatic mode that selects both shutter speed and aperture based on the lighting situation and the ISO you've chosen.

ISO basically means the sensitivity to light. Bright situations you can use ISO 100-200 easily, but if you're in low-light situations, you'll need to bump it up to 800 to 1600 to allow for more light to come into the camera...the downside to this is that it causes a grainy look.

Hopefully that helps you a little! My sister and I teach online photography workshops designed especially for beginners, and we actually have one that's calling your name! It's our "Know your Camera" workshop that covers aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, and the like! You can find out more here .
11 years 11 months ago #232183 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 9 months ago #240848 by GiraffeSpots
Thanks for the links and answers everyone. I'm starting to get it slowly but surely!

11 years 9 months ago #240854 by deemarie
Hi Misty, do the workshops cover different manufacturers? I have a canon, when I looked at your site it seems very appealing but I fear that i may get confused if specific examples are used relating to my camera? Thanks!

deemarie

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024