A few questions in one thread - about data back up & "what if" you lost all your photos?

13 years 2 months ago #23412 by JB
What would you do if you lost all your photos? I back up all my stuff on CD's, but I just read this morning that CD's have a shelf life of only 5 to 6 years? I have so many CD's that I've made over the years. I never knew this, so now I'm anxious to get home and to look at some of my older CD's to see if the information is corrupted or if it's still there!?

What back up methods have a 100% certainty of lasting (aside for natural disasters).

13 years 2 months ago #23436 by Baydream
I keep important ones on two separate external hard drives. There is a growing business in online storage, including Google through Picasa Web. Lots of options.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #23444 by Scotty
I use external drives.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #23474 by JB
Have any of you heard about CD's not good after 5 to 6 years?

13 years 2 months ago #23477 by Baydream
I have heard of some CDs being archival quality and have a longer lifetime.
This is from Wiki
"Real-life (not accelerated aging) tests have revealed that some CD-Rs degrade quickly even if stored normally. The quality of a CD-R disc has a large and direct influence on longevity—low quality discs shouldn't be expected to last very long. According to research conducted by J. Perdereau, CD-R are expected to have an average life expectancy of 10 years.[7] Unfortunately, branding isn't a reliable guide to quality, because many brands (major as well as no name) do not actually manufacture their own discs. Instead they are sourced from different manufacturers of varying quality. For best results, the actual manufacturer and material components should be verified of each batch of discs." DVDs with REAL gold coatings are said to last longer than silver.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #23696 by crystal
I have lost alot of my pictures. Granted, this was years ago when I was modeling. My harddrive crashed and I lost several hundred of modeling pictures of me. I was upset, but I got over it. To be honest, losing the pictures I take is more important then losing my modeling pictures.

I have alot of pictures burn to CD. That would include my modeling pics and photos I shot. My modeling pictures are over 6yrs old burn onto CD, the CD is still good.
I have all the pictures I shot, on CD, DVD, main harddrive, 2nd drive and external drive.
This past summer I shot some wildlife photos from a drive through safari (first one I went too). Came home from being gone a week and my computer died (my fridg also died). But before the computer died, I transfer my pictures. The computer started acting up. So I backup all my photos. All my photos were saved, except I lost half of those safari pictures that I took. I was pissed. Good thing is, my husband also took the same kind of pictures since he was with me. So at least there are pictures for memories.
13 years 2 months ago #23748 by Hamtastic
Ive not heard that before, possible have you contacted CD manufacture?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #23792 by Scotty
Backing up should be part of your religion.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #24311 by Becky pics

Scotty wrote: Backing up should be part of your religion.

:agree:

13 years 2 months ago #24583 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: Backing up should be part of your religion.

LOL :banana:

I have a backup in my computer, on an external HDD and a couple of backup externals back in Australia (every time my Mum comes here or I go there I give her an external HDD with all my photos backed up).

The op says he uses CDs to back up... CDs?! Do you mean DVDs? CDs would be lucky to hold 100 photos, then they'd need to be jpegs.
13 years 2 months ago #27907 by digitalpimp

JB wrote: Have any of you heard about CD's not good after 5 to 6 years?

News to me, I thought they had not shelf life?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #27911 by Pud
I don't know what I would do. At this point, I don't have anything backed up. I guess I should.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024