Get published - two bright lights??

11 years 10 months ago #236778 by Wyrick Photography
What's the deal with this company twobrightlights.com? Their header reads "get published" which of course caught my attention. Well that and the phrase to the right of that that talks about those who feature (pay their $129 yearly fee) earn 73% more. :blink:

I might have this wrong, but it looks like this system spams your photos out to hundreds of blog sites in minutes. Did I miss something? How do you earn capital from this?

Who's used this, or heard of this company?

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #236791 by Superman
I'm not feeling this. It does look like your spamming your photos out, how do you know where they end up?!

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #236793 by icepics
I'd read the fine print... look at #5 License By You to Publishers, under Terms of Service (it's under Legal at the bottom of the page). What would concern me is "While you retain ownership..." "...the Publisher will own all right...in any compilation, collective work, or other derivative work created by the Publisher using or incorporating your accepted Member Content."

I didn't read any further, I would find this part of the terms questionable.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #236822 by Jim Photo
I'm not feeling this either :dry:

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #236856 by Paris Gal
Why? you don't know where your photos are getting posted to? People complain about Pinterest, this is worse.

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #236892 by Joves
But if you read their ad they say when you leave your photos go with you. But here is #4 in their ToS.

You hereby grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to use, reproduce, edit, market, store, distribute, have distributed, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon and promote your Member Content (as such may be edited and modified by us in our sole and absolute discretion), or any portion thereof, through the TBL network and any other products or services as we may designate, in any medium now known or hereafter devised, online or offline and by any means of delivery, for editorial, commercial, promotional and all other purposes. You retain all rights in your Member Content, subject to the rights granted to us in this Agreement. You may modify or remove your Member Content via your TBL Account or by terminating your TBL Account.

So not only are they stealing from you, they are charging you to steal from you. Yeah these guys make Pinterest look like saints.

11 years 10 months ago #236959 by Crazyguy

Joves wrote: But if you read their ad they say when you leave your photos go with you. But here is #4 in their ToS.

You hereby grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to use, reproduce, edit, market, store, distribute, have distributed, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon and promote your Member Content (as such may be edited and modified by us in our sole and absolute discretion), or any portion thereof, through the TBL network and any other products or services as we may designate, in any medium now known or hereafter devised, online or offline and by any means of delivery, for editorial, commercial, promotional and all other purposes. You retain all rights in your Member Content, subject to the rights granted to us in this Agreement. You may modify or remove your Member Content via your TBL Account or by terminating your TBL Account.

So not only are they stealing from you, they are charging you to steal from you. Yeah these guys make Pinterest look like saints.

:agree: I was just thinking the same

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #237058 by Studio Queen
And how many of those sites don't have right click disabled? I like to have control of my photos. :P

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #237069 by Tamgerine

Studio Queen wrote: And how many of those sites don't have right click disabled? I like to have control of my photos. :P

You don't really think disabling right click actually does any good, do you?

I'm skeptical of the service as well. On top of the questionable rights grabs, most blogs I've ever read the submission guidelines on want exclusive content, meaning content that wasn't submitted to a million blogs. While spamming may get you some volume publicity, it's completely impersonal and no blog wants to have the same content.
11 years 10 months ago #237443 by Roy Wilson

Tamgerine wrote:

Studio Queen wrote: And how many of those sites don't have right click disabled? I like to have control of my photos. :P

You don't really think disabling right click actually does any good, do you?

I'm skeptical of the service as well. On top of the questionable rights grabs, most blogs I've ever read the submission guidelines on want exclusive content, meaning content that wasn't submitted to a million blogs. While spamming may get you some volume publicity, it's completely impersonal and no blog wants to have the same content.

:agree:

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #237525 by EOS Man
FAILED :rofl:

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #237754 by Mayo
I'll pass :whistle:

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #237806 by sphynge
HI there

I'm Caroline and I work at Two Bright Lights. I just joined - before that I was a pro photographer using their service :cheer:

So how this works is it's for photographers who want to get featured in magazines / blogs. Think a feature from an editor. If that's what you want to do today, you have to find your editor, prepare a submission with their ToS, format everything, then wait until the editor has reviewed your submission for publication, and hopefully you're selected for a feature. If you don't, you have to start the process all over again. That's why few wedding photographers get published in general - it's just too much work.
With Two Bright Lights, that process is easier. So you select which editor you want to submit to, and if the editor says no, it's a 3 click resubmit to another editor. Simple.
So this isn't an alternative to *selling* your photos, it's not a stock site, and it's definitely not a spam your photos around site. This is an alternative to the submission processes that exist today to try to get you PR. You have a list of editors you can choose from, so it's not like you don't know - you are the one selecting which sites you're submitting which photos to. No editor can just find your photo without your consent and publish it - so it's a lot more like doing your own PR.

Hope that makes sense!

Caroline
Two Bright Lights
Sphynge Photography

11 years 9 months ago #237810 by Richard K Photography

sphynge wrote: HI there

I'm Caroline and I work at Two Bright Lights. I just joined - before that I was a pro photographer using their service :cheer:

So how this works is it's for photographers who want to get featured in magazines / blogs. Think a feature from an editor. If that's what you want to do today, you have to find your editor, prepare a submission with their ToS, format everything, then wait until the editor has reviewed your submission for publication, and hopefully you're selected for a feature. If you don't, you have to start the process all over again. That's why few wedding photographers get published in general - it's just too much work.
With Two Bright Lights, that process is easier. So you select which editor you want to submit to, and if the editor says no, it's a 3 click resubmit to another editor. Simple.
So this isn't an alternative to *selling* your photos, it's not a stock site, and it's definitely not a spam your photos around site. This is an alternative to the submission processes that exist today to try to get you PR. You have a list of editors you can choose from, so it's not like you don't know - you are the one selecting which sites you're submitting which photos to. No editor can just find your photo without your consent and publish it - so it's a lot more like doing your own PR.

Hope that makes sense!

Caroline
Two Bright Lights
Sphynge Photography

So how do photographers have piece of mind their photos are safe?

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #237814 by Tamgerine

sphynge wrote: HI there

Hope that makes sense!

Caroline
Two Bright Lights
Sphynge Photography

So is this a limited list of editors, as in you can't submit to blogs/publishers who aren't on your list?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024