What paper did you use with posters from Mpix? Where's the Gloss?

11 years 11 months ago #237339 by SJM
I'm trying to order a poster size print from Mpix.com and can't seem to find the Gloss finish? Just Matte. I must be losing it, can someone help me please?

www.mpix.com/products/prints/#papers

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #237424 by Henry Peach
I wouldn't describe Kodak E-surface as matte. It's more of a semi-gloss. It has a slight pebbled texture sometimes described as pearl or luster. Mpix does not have a glossy finish available other than metallic, which is different from traditional gloss. I think you'd probably be happy with the E-surface. I love it. Somewhere on their website you can order a paper sample book.

If you want a traditional glossy finish you'll have to look elsewhere than Mpix.
11 years 11 months ago #237599 by Ruby Grace

Henry Peach wrote: I wouldn't describe Kodak E-surface as matte. It's more of a semi-gloss. It has a slight pebbled texture sometimes described as pearl or luster. Mpix does not have a glossy finish available other than metallic, which is different from traditional gloss. I think you'd probably be happy with the E-surface. I love it. Somewhere on their website you can order a paper sample book.

If you want a traditional glossy finish you'll have to look elsewhere than Mpix.

Henry, where are you getting your prints made?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #237639 by Monster
Anyone remember what company had the wall size prints?

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #237749 by Henry Peach

Ruby Grace wrote: Henry, where are you getting your prints made?

Mpix.com
11 years 11 months ago #237772 by Mayo
I have a print there from Mpix and I thought it was a gloss print :blink:

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #238134 by Kelly Lambert
I prefer the matte, but then again I'm putting these behind glass.

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #238195 by SJM
So what is the difference between gloss and metallic paper?

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #238308 by Henry Peach

Mayo wrote: I have a print there from Mpix and I thought it was a gloss print :blink:

E surface is crisp and bright, and plenty glossy to me.
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #238309 by Henry Peach

SJM wrote: So what is the difference between gloss and metallic paper?

Metallic has a quality I can only describe as something like "pearl-escence". It's sort of like looking at mother-of-pearl. There is a sense of depth that can be interesting, but it sort of messes with the colors, IMO. Metallic is like traditional glossy, except version 2.0 for the 21st century!!!

4x6 prints are cheap to see for yourself. Or I'm pretty sure they have a sample book.
11 years 11 months ago #238334 by Kenya See

Henry Peach wrote:

SJM wrote: So what is the difference between gloss and metallic paper?

Metallic has a quality I can only describe as something like "pearl-escence". It's sort of like looking at mother-of-pearl. There is a sense of depth that can be interesting, but it sort of messes with the colors, IMO. Metallic is like traditional glossy, except version 2.0 for the 21st century!!!

4x6 prints are cheap to see for yourself. Or I'm pretty sure they have a sample book.

I'm going to agree with you, it does have a pearl like feel to it.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024

The Fuji X-T5 is a mid-range camera ideal for beginners who need a high-powered camera body to professionals looking for a solid second camera - and many uses in between!

Jun 03, 2024