Fair price to charge for stretching canvas on frame?

11 years 9 months ago #239570 by I shoot RAW
I bought a piece of art over the weekend that has been painted on canvas. I now need to find someone to stretch it onto a frame. The piece is 36x48". What would be a fair price I should expect to be charged for this? I would like to have an idea so I don't over pay. Thanks!

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #239638 by EOS Man
I had a 24x36 stretched and they charged $75, I'd bet that one would be over $100

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #239682 by Little Kate
Why not just get a quote from one of the Canvas companies local to where you are? :P

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #239709 by P2CDude
Somewhere between 75-150.00 just depends on the quality of the bars they are using, and how much they know their stuff. In a project as large as this one, make sure they are using bracer bars as well as the stretcher bars. Also, make sure they are using a thickness that suits your needs.

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
11 years 9 months ago #239710 by Baydream
You may try contacting a local artist or gallery. Some artists use pre-stretched canvas but others stretch their own. Perhaps one of them would do it as a "side job".

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #239711 by P2CDude
Problem is that many times...artists use crap materials and stretching pliers. Frame shops typically use better equipment and materials. I've got amazing art from amazing world renown artists...and when you look on the back, you see that they are stretched over split 2x4's and put together with framing nails....really something that I would be considered totally unacceptable, but something you commonly find from "artists"

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
11 years 9 months ago #239800 by Jim Photo

P2CDude wrote: Problem is that many times...artists use crap materials and stretching pliers. Frame shops typically use better equipment and materials. I've got amazing art from amazing world renown artists...and when you look on the back, you see that they are stretched over split 2x4's and put together with framing nails....really something that I would be considered totally unacceptable, but something you commonly find from "artists"

:agree: artist are good at painting not stretching and framing pro's. Wife and I went to a farmers market a few months back and found a wonderful piece of art we wanted, bought it and one of the first things we noticed is how horrible the back side of this photo looked. The work was horrible.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024