Fair price to charge for stretching canvas on frame?

11 years 10 months ago #239570 by I shoot RAW
I bought a piece of art over the weekend that has been painted on canvas. I now need to find someone to stretch it onto a frame. The piece is 36x48". What would be a fair price I should expect to be charged for this? I would like to have an idea so I don't over pay. Thanks!

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #239638 by EOS Man
I had a 24x36 stretched and they charged $75, I'd bet that one would be over $100

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #239682 by Little Kate
Why not just get a quote from one of the Canvas companies local to where you are? :P

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #239709 by P2CDude
Somewhere between 75-150.00 just depends on the quality of the bars they are using, and how much they know their stuff. In a project as large as this one, make sure they are using bracer bars as well as the stretcher bars. Also, make sure they are using a thickness that suits your needs.

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
11 years 10 months ago #239710 by Baydream
You may try contacting a local artist or gallery. Some artists use pre-stretched canvas but others stretch their own. Perhaps one of them would do it as a "side job".

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #239711 by P2CDude
Problem is that many times...artists use crap materials and stretching pliers. Frame shops typically use better equipment and materials. I've got amazing art from amazing world renown artists...and when you look on the back, you see that they are stretched over split 2x4's and put together with framing nails....really something that I would be considered totally unacceptable, but something you commonly find from "artists"

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
11 years 10 months ago #239800 by Jim Photo

P2CDude wrote: Problem is that many times...artists use crap materials and stretching pliers. Frame shops typically use better equipment and materials. I've got amazing art from amazing world renown artists...and when you look on the back, you see that they are stretched over split 2x4's and put together with framing nails....really something that I would be considered totally unacceptable, but something you commonly find from "artists"

:agree: artist are good at painting not stretching and framing pro's. Wife and I went to a farmers market a few months back and found a wonderful piece of art we wanted, bought it and one of the first things we noticed is how horrible the back side of this photo looked. The work was horrible.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024