Need advise - Bride is asking for RAW proofs

11 years 9 months ago #239994 by Josh Jofoto
I just got a call from a bride from a wedding that I shoot 3 months ago. She is asking for all the RAW proofs. Now about 2 weeks after the wedding I had delivered nearly 500 images to her and her husband. They both were very happy with the images. But now this request has be on the fence, should I pass on all the RAW files? If I do that, then I have to worry about my watermark, the editing that I've done on many already and whether they will have my same signature look and feel. How would you deal with this?

I'm sure if I do move forward, there should be an additional fee (which I warned her already). What should I charge and would you draft up a new contract?

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #240006 by McBeth Photography
As a general rule, I don't do weddings but, if I did, it would be a cold day in you know where before I just handed over the RAW images....If I chose to do it, the fee per image would be very, very high. :)

It is what it is.
11 years 9 months ago #240035 by CWphotos
Even if you were to decide to comply...I would suggest only giving copies of the RAW files, and explain that you will be keeping the RAW's as proof of copyright. In addition, I would explain that any additional work, other than their own personal 'tinkering' would be an infringement. ( I've shot only one wedding, which was for my very poor granddaughter, and it will be my last one. And [ stealing from McBeth's post ] it would be a cold day in 'you-know-where' before I would allow her to even SEE the RAW files, much less have them! )

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 9 months ago #240039 by Dori
I agree with what has been posted. Why does she want the RAW files anyway?

I would liken giving her the RAW files to giving away your negatives or Slides.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 9 months ago #240046 by John Landolfi
:agree: with everyone. She hired you to photograph, not to hold the camera and snap for her. Your product is not your materials, of which the RAW files are a part, but the edited and selected images you choose to present. She could turn your files into garbage, and present them as your work, not maliciously, but through ignorance. Unless you agreed to it when you were hired (a mistake, in my view), you don't need and shouldn't release those files to her.:cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #240051 by Dori
:goodpost:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 9 months ago #240059 by icepics
Maybe you need to remind her of the terms of the contract... Or is it possible talking to her further to get an idea why she wants them now?

In my job (which was not photography related) sometimes I'd find that what someone was asking about wasn't necessarily what they're really trying to figure out. I think people hear or see something that may seem like a good idea to them, til you find out what they really need or want and can help direct them to something that might be a better choice or solution.

OT - cool avatar!

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #240061 by Scotty
I'd say no. That'd be the end of it.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #240063 by Josh Jofoto
I'm blown away with all the responses. I guess that solves that really quickly. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
11 years 9 months ago #240269 by Henry Peach
I've always responded with "I don't release the raw files or unprocessed photos", and no one has ever argued with me about it. It's written into my wedding and portrait contracts that raw files are not available, and files will be delivered as jpegs. If someone wanted tiffs instead I could do that.
11 years 9 months ago #240310 by digitalpimp

Scotty wrote: I'd say no. That'd be the end of it.

Pretty much what I would say, just in a nice way.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #240382 by Joves

Henry Peach wrote: I've always responded with "I don't release the raw files or unprocessed photos", and no one has ever argued with me about it. It's written into my wedding and portrait contracts that raw files are not available, and files will be delivered as jpegs. If someone wanted tiffs instead I could do that.

Yeah I could see doing a TIFF for them but RAW files never. It would be like giving them the negatives if you shot film, it would never happen. If they do not like it then make a price so high they will give up, say like $400 a RAW. That should make them choke on their request.

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #240515 by Henry Peach
I would be willing to listen to why they thought they would need the raw files. I just can't think of any reasons that they'd be able to convince me that raw files would be better for them. I am definitely not interested in the client doing their own processing. That's why they hired me. If they need processing adjustments then just ask me to do it.

Chances are that this all started with questionable advice from a friend or relative or blog. Someone said "raw is best!", but never explained or doesn't know why. Explain what raw is, and she'll probably understand that she has no use for them.

I don't get requests for raw files except from clients who are into photography. These days I just say "No" (smiling), and they get it. A long time ago I did have a couple who were experienced amateur photographers. I looked at their work, and we discussed processing and raw and such. They wanted me to do the processing, but they also wanted to keep the raw files, and I decided that I was okay with that. They weren't interested in radical re-processing, but wanted the option to go in and do minor adjustments. Years later I ran into them, and asked "Have you ever gone back to the raw files, and done any reprocessing?" He said "Nope. We've never even looked at them or backed up the CD. The jpegs are great!".

I have done work for designers where they have asked for the raw files, but everyone was on the same page from the beginning. I knew when I took the job that they were going to be taking the photos I provided and using them as they needed. When I do copy work for artists I usually include the raw files. Accurate color is such a big issue when photographing artwork. 100% accuracy is probably impossible, and where it's okay to compromise needs to be decided by the artist. I'd rather let them (or their lab) fine tune the color if they need to than make them come back to me to add 2 points of magenta.
11 years 9 months ago #240521 by chasrich
I went to my Chevy dealer the other day and requested the car I wanted to be delivered without paint - so I could paint it myself. They said NO!.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 9 months ago #240563 by Roy Wilson
No go for me

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024