Cord vs card readers

11 years 9 months ago #240600 by Ben Howen
Hey guys is there difference in the data when pulled from a cord vs card reader? Meaning is there a less likely hood of data drop with either of these?

Canon T3i, 18-55mm IS, 50mm, 55-250mm
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #240603 by Joves
When you are speaking of a card reader you mean an internal one is my guess. The internal is generally faster than the USB card reader but, not by that much, if it is from the camera than any CR will be way faster.

11 years 9 months ago #240611 by Ben Howen
Is there risk of any data drop in either of these applications? I wasn't even talking about the internal card reader, so that is as direct as it gets. :thumbsup:

Canon T3i, 18-55mm IS, 50mm, 55-250mm
11 years 9 months ago #240613 by Baydream
I don't believe I have ever had a data drop. It you did have one, re-transfer.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #240630 by Joves

Ben Howen wrote: Is there risk of any data drop in either of these applications? I wasn't even talking about the internal card reader, so that is as direct as it gets. :thumbsup:

Data never drops in the transfer in either direction with both ways. The only time you lose data is when there is a corruption of the media, and or, there is an interruption while transferring data. But in the second case you can start all over again when your system is back up.

11 years 9 months ago #240663 by geoffellis
uhm... ya... Joves is pretty much bang on. i wont go into really complex details... but while data *can* drop... there is redundancies... like the transmitting controller will attempt to transfer the data at least 3 times, and has built in error checking called C(yclical)R(redundancy)C(checks)... basically each "file" is broken into many different pieces and assigned id's. If the transmitting host says there are 100 pieces, and the receiving host reports that it only received pieces 1-70 and 80-100, it will attempt to resend pieces 70-80. If the complete file wont/cant be read then the transfer is terminated/fails. generally speaking it wont just leave the file 90% complete on the receiving end.

and yes... that wasnt even the really complex details...

ultimately... corrupt files is generally due to an issue with the storage media. I would state that while not impossible... corruption from data transfer is slim/unlikely.
11 years 9 months ago #240667 by Rob pix4u2
have had one problem with an external card reader that the old laptop failed to recognize but thats the only time I have ever had a problem

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024