Composition, composition, composition!

13 years 3 months ago #24074 by isobell
My photography teacher keep harping on 'composition, composition, composition!" He says a good photographer knows it when he sees it. I must not be a good photographer because hekeps rejecting my work - he says my compsition is weak.

What, then, makes strong composition? Help.

13 years 3 months ago #24095 by Baydream
Entire books have been written on this subject. You can start with the "rule of thirds" where the main subject is near the intersection of two line one third across and vertical on the page.
I would suggest to post a photo or two here and ask for an honest critique of composition. Don't be thin skinned. The folks here will be glad to offer good and bad (but honest) and suggest ways to improve. I found this is best way to improve my photos.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #24117 by Solstar
Composition is mostly about balance and emphasis. It takes practice and it's usually a continual process for most of us. Once you get the rules down then you can learn to break them. Here's an example of breaking all the rules but it's a shot that people like. However when in doubt go with rule of thirds and "fill the frame with your subject." I have done none of those things, but on purpose so it's ok :P

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #24201 by crystal

isobell wrote: He says a good photographer knows it when he sees it. .

:agree:

You will take pictures with good composition. Practice makes perfect.
13 years 3 months ago #24223 by Karl Wertanen

Solstar wrote: Composition is mostly about balance and emphasis. It takes practice and it's usually a continual process for most of us. Once you get the rules down then you can learn to break them. Here's an example of breaking all the rules but it's a shot that people like. However when in doubt go with rule of thirds and "fill the frame with your subject." I have done none of those things, but on purpose so it's ok :P

:woohoo: This is a GREAT photo Solstar! :silly: :thumbsup:
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #24224 by Karl Wertanen
Browse through well known photographers galleries on the web to get an idea of what good compositions look like.

For landscapes, try...
Galen Rowell, Peter Lik, David Meunch, Art Wolfe, David Middleton, William Neil, John Shaw, Dewitt Jones and Ansel Adams to name a few. These guys are all compositional masters.

Maybe some folks here can name a few others who shoot other subjects than landscapes....?
13 years 3 months ago #24245 by 3p34nn

isobell wrote: What, then, makes strong composition? Help.

The subject helps alot.

13 years 2 months ago #26775 by wyiii
A combination of curves and straight lines makes an interesting image. In a landscape, look for isolated or unexpected subjects such as a tree silhouetted against a plain background or a tricycle left in the middle of an empgy field. Look for something that leads the viewer's eye into the picture - a fence, a winding river or a road.

13 years 2 months ago #26779 by ll_cool_l
Isobell, look at the photo you're about to take and ask yourself this question. If I were looking at this in print, would I remember it 5 minutes after i walked away from it? An hour? A week? If the answer is "yes," especiall to the "week" self-question, then you probably have a photo with strong composition.

13 years 2 months ago #26780 by bear
Don't be afraid tocrop after you take the photo. Sometimes the greatest shots are actually one cropped section of a larger view that just wasn't that spectacular. The photographer didn't see the isolated view until looking at the overall photo or print.

13 years 2 months ago #26781 by Rob pix4u2
Some examples from my work though not the examples you will get with some of the sugessted shooters it will be a start for you

As was said check out the galleries here on PT especially Karl Wertanen and Fay Vincent and Crystal Wightman you will see good composition of landscapes. I post mostly sports so my galleries give you ideas on composition of sports shots. Keep practicing and you will get it better

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 2 months ago #26799 by Yasko
Great posts here. Yes, the rule of thirds is a good generality when considering pleasing composition. You can balance a lot of landscapes with rule of thirds. You'll find horizons are especially important in landscapes, so pay extra attention to where the horizon is. Good composition will come with practice. With practice you'll be able to recognize what draws the eyes where, and how to notice and balance all the subjects within the photograph before taking the shot. If your instructor is telling you your composition is weak, ask him/her why, and get some critiques. Ask how that particular shot could be improved. Get input from your peers too.

What helped me really early on, is that right before I took my shot while my eye was in the viewer, I'd scan the frame from corner to corner, and asked myself, "is this shot a keeper? what am I trying to say with this shot. what's the emphasis in this frame?" I'd realize sometimes I'd have a cluttered background, badly composed horizon, things being cut-off on the frame corners, distracting elements, or just a downright boring composition.

Practice, practice, and practice. You'll get it.

13 years 2 months ago #26803 by turtle
A photographer does know it when they see it, but it is also highly subjective. I may compose a shot one way & it works, you may compose differently & it works, & a third person may look at both of our works & say he hates them both.

But before you can go breaking the rules, you need to learn what they are 1st (like the rule of thirds). The best way to refine your composition is with LOTS of practice & lots of exposure to work you like. Like Baydream said, there are many books available on the subject. Just don't get discouraged, it'll come in time.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024