Ok so now that I have a DSLR people expect me to be good... ;)

11 years 10 months ago #241343 by GiraffeSpots
Seriously. Ever since I upgraded my camera I think there are more expectations. I'm just a hobbyist, mom and gardener. I upgraded my camera with the intention of learning more and getting better but I'm not all of a sudden better because of my camera (I'm sure the professionals on this site would give a hardy "Here! Here!" to this sentiment!)

Haha sorry this is a bit of a rant. It's just because I went to a family picnic last weekend and everyone just wanted me to take a photo of this and that and then they'd take a look on the screen and I could see some disappointment in their faces. Lighting was wrong, angles were wrong, I'm not really sure but they didn't turn out well. I have no knack for portraits that's for sure.

Maybe there is some simple book or website I can look up to help me out with just family candids. How to be a better 'mom photographer' type thing... anyone else experience this or am I just being dramatic? :whistle:

11 years 10 months ago #241344 by Rob pix4u2
keep practicing is the best advise I can give, you will improve

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

The following user(s) said Thank You: GiraffeSpots
11 years 10 months ago #241354 by icepics
You have some common sense about it... wonder if your relatives have any hobbies or anything they do that they could remember back to when they started. Maybe you could work into the conversation something to help them realize when you're new at something, you're still learning...

I'm not sure why there seems to be this perception that because it's a digital camera it's going to take stupendous photos right out of the box. If you buy gourmet cookware is it going to hop out of the box and cook you a feast?? if it worked that way I'd have my pots and pans cooking me a gourmet dinner every night!

I guess that's one drawback to digital, I'm a long time film shooter so nobody could see my pictures right away! LOL Now at least I have an external viewfinder on my camera so I can flip that on and there's nothing to see on the back of my camera - that takes care of sneek peaks! No matter what you're using not every picture is going to turn out great but people that aren't photographers may not realize that - and if they got to try out your camera they may realize it's not as easy as they think.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #241357 by MajorMagee
Start with your garden, it won't complain.

Walk around and look for things about it that you like (flowers?) and don't like (weeds?). Take pictures of both types of views of your garden, the good and the bad. Now go sit down with them and give them a critique. First, sort the ones that give you a favorable first impression from the duds. Ask yourself what you liked about the good ones, and disliked about the bad ones.

If there's no correlation with your original intention then you need to work on technique (composition, focus, controlling exposure, etc.) first. If they all come down to the subject being something you already liked about your garden then you're half way to having an eye for photography and you can focus on shooting more of the things you like while you practice.

Eventually when you have full control of your technique, and you can readily see the opportunities for a great image in what you see, you can go back and shoot the weeds in a way that will leave people asking how you made them look so beautiful.

11 years 10 months ago #241362 by Baydream
Read a few of the articles here and try to pick up a few tips. It takes practice no matter what king of camera you have.
Years ago when I had a Pentax film camera with a cheap 500mm lens mounted on a tripod, I heard someone at an autocross comment, "Wow, he must be a professional". I still get a chuckle out of that and it was over ten years ago.

The other have offered great advice. Be gentle with yourself and practice. You will improve almost every time out. If you have a friend who shoots, ask to go along, observe and learn.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #241367 by boriqua latina
photograph what you love best first . Do a lot of reading on topics u need help on...do research as well.. Practice all the time.. It becomes easier as u progress...and enjoy every moment of it!

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #241368 by Stealthy Ninja
Obviously you bought the wrong DSLR.

You need this one:
11 years 10 months ago #241375 by KCook
Tell them you shoot only RAW. They will either A) run away, or B) start undressing. Arguably some more helpful advice -

blog.snapsort.com/tag/family-photos/

photo.tutsplus.com/articles/shooting-art...ortrait-photography/

mansurovs.com/how-to-photograph-children

laurencekim.com/category/kids-families/

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 10 months ago #241393 by Janos
FYI there are a bunch of video tips in the tips section of this forum

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #241399 by LittleBitACountry
I am glad you have your new camera. Keep enjoying taking photo's. Some advice I was given 'keep the eye open that you are looking through the camera with'. Apparently it helps. lol

11 years 10 months ago #241401 by Shutter Buddies
I'm sure you'll get better and better the more you practice and learn.

But I know what you mean about having a DSLR make people think you're good. When we first got ours forever ago, our neighbor asked my husband to shoot her wedding as soon as she saw we had it! I have no doubt he could do it now and do an excellent job, but no way then!

Check out my Kickstarter Project!
www.kickstarter.com/projects/2081896432/...se-to-shutterbuddies

www.shutterbuddies.com
www.etsy.com/shop/shutterbuddies
www.facebook.com/shutterbuddiespage

***PhotographyTalk users get 15% off their entire purchase with coupon code TALK15***

11 years 9 months ago #241731 by GiraffeSpots
Thanks for the great tips everyone!

I certainly will be practicing a lot in my garden. Tomatoes are pleased with anything I do.

I really enjoyed the cookware analogy. I could use some magical cookware of my own! :P

11 years 9 months ago #241733 by GiraffeSpots

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Obviously you bought the wrong DSLR.

You need this one:

Oh my! haha. I'd never get to shoot anyone! What an intimidating looking thing that is!

11 years 9 months ago #241796 by Happy Snapper

GiraffeSpots wrote: Thanks for the great tips everyone!

I certainly will be practicing a lot in my garden. Tomatoes are pleased with anything I do.

I really enjoyed the cookware analogy. I could use some magical cookware of my own! :P

There are some fun back lit photography exercises you can do with tomatoes and other veggies, you might want to look into You Tube for those. Congrats on the new camera!

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #241857 by Joves
Well the P&S camera you have did not prepare you for a Dslr, they never do. You might try picking up a couple of the Bryan Petersen books, Understanding Exposure would be the first, second Understanding Composition. As others have said though there are some good thread right here on the forum. But the two books I mentioned have put many a new hobbyist on their way.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024