Have you developed film?

13 years 3 months ago #24266 by dwi3x4
Just a curious question. Has anyone here ever developed your own film? Had your own darkroom and everything.
If you are now shooting digital, do you miss shooting film and developing it?

13 years 3 months ago #24388 by Baydream
Did it in B&W in college with 8x10 sheet film. Don't miss that one little bit.:beerbang:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24393 by Karl Wertanen
Nope... But i want to. I've seen complete darkrooms being sold on craigslist for $400 give or take $50.00
13 years 3 months ago #24399 by Screamin Scott
Did B&W years ago, some of which I've posted here...It was a pain to set up & take it down back then as I lived in an apartment. Having a dedicated darkroom is so much nicer...I don't miss the chemical smells though,

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #24461 by effron
I did the whole nine yards years ago. I don't miss one thing, constant cost, smell, working in dark, temp. control, etc.......:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24508 by Rob pix4u2
My father started me developing in the 1960s and digital is so much easier. Don't miss the hassle of developing like everyone else when I can "develop" in my computer a whole lot more efficiently

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #24532 by dang
I agree with the other posters. I had a home darkroom for B&W along with Cibachrome which I kept for over 20 years, and digital is so much easier. Unless you're wanting to shoot medium, or large format on somewhat of a budget, I see little use for chemicals considering the pixel amount of today's digital cameras. jmho.

Insanity: doing the same thing over, and over again expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)
www.dangphoto.weebly.com

13 years 3 months ago #24613 by dwi3x4
Wow I'm surprised no one miss developing their own film. I thought at least one person would miss it. Maybe someone out there loves the smell of the chemicals. lol

13 years 3 months ago #24726 by Travel Nut
No experience what so ever

13 years 3 months ago #24790 by barney
Still have my darkroom and still do alot of my own B&W work. I'd miss it terribly if I gave it up altogether.

13 years 3 months ago #24822 by Yasko
Did that as a teenager. Messy, time consuming, and dare I say dangerous when you first start out, but fun. These days I don't have the time for it, and the supplies aren't found easily anymore.

13 years 3 months ago #25196 by Stealthy Ninja
No but I've seen it done 2 times. ;)

I've also taken film down to the local chemists and waited a week for the film to come back from the "lab". ;) :banana:
13 years 3 months ago #25201 by Joves
Used to but like the others have said dont miss it one bit. Mostly did B&W as it is the easiest but I also would do color a total PITA at home. Now with digital it is so much easier and there is noting to store and, I dont have to set up everytime to process.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024