Ever drop your camera?

13 years 3 months ago #24749 by bhowdy
This is not mine! How about this situation ... A rental 600mm lens dropped into water filled with alligators!

600mm Lens

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #24828 by Yasko
A D3 with a 500mm might make me cry lol :sick:

I remember years back I witnessed a dept. of fish and wildlife biologist drop a Nikon F5 with a fairly large telephoto overboard in the pacific. Didn't seem to bother him a whole lot though. I guess it was on the government's dime.

I dropped a camera once on a sidewalk years ago. A Pentax k1000. Didn't hurt it at all :cheer:

13 years 3 months ago #24837 by johnm
Now that's what I call a dedicated photographer!:judge:

13 years 3 months ago #24838 by johnm
I came across an interesting article the other day on the internet about what to do when you break your camera. It's full of advice - some very obvious advice and some you might not think of right away.

First, don't panic. Pick up all the pieces - if it's in pieces. Take ouf the batteries and memory card right away. If you don't know what you're doing - and most of us probably don't - don't try fixing it yourself. Take it to a pro. Yes, you'll spend money, but probably less than if you've tinkered with it yourself first.

If you're interested, here's the link to the entire article.

www.digital-photography-school.com/what-...ou-break-your-camera

13 years 3 months ago #24847 by Baydream

bhowdy wrote: This is not mine! How about this situation ... A rental 600mm lens dropped into water filled with alligators!

600mm Lens

It's called insurance and that's why we buy it :toocrazy: .

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24896 by HawaiiGuy
Knock on wood, no!

13 years 3 months ago #24993 by Solstar
I knocked my 30d with 85mm and a flash off a barstool at my house. Luckily a fat oriental rug and a lucky landing meant everything survived. Scary moment though.

13 years 3 months ago #24995 by Karl Wertanen
Had my camera on a tripod, set it down (in a hurry of course), one of the legs was not positioned to it's widest position and i knocked it over. Lens element face down onto a rock. The lens and the camera worked fine but i destroyed my 82mm Hoya HMC Super Polarizer. I was lucky thats all it destroyed. That filter saves my rear!
13 years 3 months ago #25001 by Rob pix4u2
Several years ago I was stepping onto the ice at the arena to photographer an intermission show (after the Zamboni had resurfaced the ice) and my legs went out from under me- I was horizontal to the ice for a few feet and a few split seconds before i came crashing down in front of around 9000-10,000 folks. A collective gasp went up and everyone waited to see if I was broken much less the two cameras and lenses in my vest. Luckily for me the only damage was to the lens hood on my 80-200 f 2.8 and my pride. I taught the arena staff to never zam the ice until AFTER the intermission show if anyone was going to be on the ice without skates that night and to this day they only Zamboni the ice after everyone is off of the ice.:watching: :judge:

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #25033 by Scotty
On my old canon 40d, i had a tamron 25-75 2.8 attached. Cheap tripod and ball head..they broke, 40d went to the ground, broke the tamron in half.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #25169 by Stealthy Ninja

Paige120 wrote: OMG. Maybe you shouldn't be a photographer.

OMG maybe you shouldn't use a keyboard. :owned: :p

Dropping equipment doesn't disqualify you from being a photographer any more than getting a flat tire disqualifies you from driving. :D

Now to answer your question. No, I haven't. I have dropped someone else's lens though. :whistle:
13 years 3 months ago #25178 by Joves
All I will say is which time. Mine has dropped so many times I have lost count. In all that time I lost one lens and cracked my rear GGS screen protector really good. Once was a flat drop the toehrs were in my hand and it hit as I fell. It happens and I have yet to break my D300 so far. Did it a few times with my D80 as well with no ill effects. The only thing that would worry me is a drowning, in that case though it is a matter of taking the battery out right away and the CF card, then letting it dry fully.

13 years 3 months ago #25353 by crystal

bhowdy wrote: I saw a Nikon D3 and a 500mm lens fall into a salt water lagoon in Florida. A few of us were wading in waist deep salt water photographing wading Reddish Egrets ... apparently this guy did not tightened one of his tripod legs after making an adjustment. He turned to talk to his buddy as the leg slowly collapsed and the entire set-up was laying on the sand bottom, under the 4 feet of salt water! I actually believe that he did cry. I never heard a report on the outcome for his camera gear ....

I would have cried.
13 years 3 months ago #25356 by McBeth Photography

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Several years ago I was stepping onto the ice at the arena to photographer an intermission show (after the Zamboni had resurfaced the ice) and my legs went out from under me- I was horizontal to the ice for a few feet and a few split seconds before i came crashing down in front of around 9000-10,000 folks. A collective gasp went up and everyone waited to see if I was broken much less the two cameras and lenses in my vest. Luckily for me the only damage was to the lens hood on my 80-200 f 2.8 and my pride. I taught the arena staff to never zam the ice until AFTER the intermission show if anyone was going to be on the ice without skates that night and to this day they only Zamboni the ice after everyone is off of the ice.:watching: :judge:

I was wondering if you ever have to get on the ice to get a shot ... I hope you healed up quick.

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago #25359 by Rob pix4u2

McBeth Photography wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Several years ago I was stepping onto the ice at the arena to photographer an intermission show (after the Zamboni had resurfaced the ice) and my legs went out from under me- I was horizontal to the ice for a few feet and a few split seconds before i came crashing down in front of around 9000-10,000 folks. A collective gasp went up and everyone waited to see if I was broken much less the two cameras and lenses in my vest. Luckily for me the only damage was to the lens hood on my 80-200 f 2.8 and my pride. I taught the arena staff to never zam the ice until AFTER the intermission show if anyone was going to be on the ice without skates that night and to this day they only Zamboni the ice after everyone is off of the ice.:watching: :judge:

I was wondering if you ever have to get on the ice to get a shot ... I hope you healed up quick.

I get to go on the ice for big intermission shows and after the championships but I don't step out there on fresh ice anymore. My friends at the rink that night thought that I had landed hard enough to break a hip-luckily my pride was all that was damaged and the lens hood.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024