Ever drop your camera?

13 years 3 months ago #24644 by Paige120
Have you ever dropped your camera or a lens? Did it survive?

13 years 3 months ago #24677 by Baydream
Mine was knocked off a sofa. The camera was fine but the lens went to the "canon hospital" to get the auto focus repaired. Learned that lesson.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24680 by Pa2tr7
Not yet and I hope I don't.

13 years 3 months ago #24682 by crystal
Oh Yes, I have several times. Surprisely, everything works.
The one time, my husband and I decided to take my oldest nephew out with us. My dad gave him a old 35mm P&S. Hoping, the nephew could get into photography. So my husband and I took him to a state park which has a lot of waterfalls.
My nephew found a good spot to shoot a fall. In the middle of the creek, had to step across and stand on wet rocks. No problem. Now I have been to this park many times. This time, I slipped and fell on my butt. My camera was on my tripod and it all went down. Smashed up against a rock. Camera and lens is fine. Tripod has some scratches on the head, but still useable.

The same camera and lens, I was in a public bathroom, I hung the camera from the door lock (there was no coat/purse hanger on the door). I didn't want to put the camera on the floor in case someone tried to reach under and take it. As you guessed it, in the middle of me taking a piss, the camera fell. This time, the lens hood cracked....but camera and lens still works.

Another time, I was shooting with the same camera, I switched my 50-500mm lens, put it on the tripod. I swear I tighten it down. As soon as I wanted to move the camera, the whole thing fall off the tripod. I caught it mid air as it was on it's way to the ground, also the camera strap got caught on the head of the tripod. I was so lucky. If it fell to the ground, the lens would have hit it head on.
13 years 3 months ago #24683 by Paige120

Baydream wrote: Mine was knocked off a sofa. The camera was fine but the lens went to the "canon hospital" to get the auto focus repaired. Learned that lesson.

Yea, never put a camera on a couch.

13 years 3 months ago #24684 by Paige120

cwightmanphotos wrote: Oh Yes, I have several times. Surprisely, everything works.
The one time, my husband and I decided to take my oldest nephew out with us. My dad gave him a old 35mm P&S. Hoping, the nephew could get into photography. So my husband and I took him to a state park which has a lot of waterfalls.
My nephew found a good spot to shoot a fall. In the middle of the creek, had to step across and stand on wet rocks. No problem. Now I have been to this park many times. This time, I slipped and fell on my butt. My camera was on my tripod and it all went down. Smashed up against a rock. Camera and lens is fine. Tripod has some scratches on the head, but still useable.

The same camera and lens, I was in a public bathroom, I hung the camera from the door lock (there was no coat/purse hanger on the door). I didn't want to put the camera on the floor in case someone tried to reach under and take it. As you guessed it, in the middle of me taking a piss, the camera fell. This time, the lens hood cracked....but camera and lens still works.

Another time, I was shooting with the same camera, I switched my 50-500mm lens, put it on the tripod. I swear I tighten it down. As soon as I wanted to move the camera, the whole thing fall off the tripod. I caught it mid air as it was on it's way to the ground, also the camera strap got caught on the head of the tripod. I was so lucky. If it fell to the ground, the lens would have hit it head on.

OMG. Maybe you shouldn't be a photographer.

13 years 3 months ago #24685 by Paige120

Pa2tr7 wrote: Not yet and I hope I don't.

I'm lucky, I never dropped mine either.

13 years 3 months ago #24686 by crystal

Paige120 wrote: OMG. Maybe you shouldn't be a photographer.

You may see it that way, but I must say, I think I am good at being a photographer and I love it. I just want to add, after I got back up from falling at the waterfall, I still took the shot I saw, even though I was in pain, wet and cold.
13 years 3 months ago #24717 by Baydream

Paige120 wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote: Oh Yes, I have several times. Surprisely, everything works.

Or do commercials for your camera manufacturer. :lol:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24718 by Baydream
A member of our club dropped his Canon in the water. He got it out and dried quickly. The only thing that doesn't work is the jack for the remote shutter release.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24735 by crystal

Baydream wrote: Or do commercials for your camera manufacturer. :lol:

That would be Nikon. So I guess Nikon is built well. lol
13 years 3 months ago #24736 by Scotty

Paige120 wrote:

If you've seen how some pros treat their gear, you'd be astounded.

I've seen a pro at a sporting event, use a hose to clean off his camera and lens.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24739 by Baydream

Scotty wrote:

Paige120 wrote:

If you've seen how some pros treat their gear, you'd be astounded.

I've seen a pro at a sporting event, use a hose to clean off his camera and lens.

:rofl:
Does that make him a "hoser"?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24743 by luckywish1
a few weeks ago when i went to leavenworth i drop my camera on the ground the kodak easyshare and it still work too gigggles. i dont know how it fall out of my hand but it did. i got lucky that it didnt break gigggles

13 years 3 months ago #24748 by bhowdy
I dropped my 100mm macro lens onto concrete from about 5 feet. It was all that I could do to keep from throwing up! Not a mark on the lens, but the focus ring would no longer work. After a trip to the Canon hospital and $185.00 it is just fine!

I saw a Nikon D3 and a 500mm lens fall into a salt water lagoon in Florida. A few of us were wading in waist deep salt water photographing wading Reddish Egrets ... apparently this guy did not tightened one of his tripod legs after making an adjustment. He turned to talk to his buddy as the leg slowly collapsed and the entire set-up was laying on the sand bottom, under the 4 feet of salt water! I actually believe that he did cry. I never heard a report on the outcome for his camera gear ....

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024