What is your opinion of pregnancy photos of bellies popping out?

10 years 9 months ago #287359 by Jackman
It's official, I just turned down my first job. I was asked to photograph a prego woman and honestly I just don't have any attraction to this type of photography. Child birth is such a beautiful thing, but honestly I think a big bulging naked belly photo is kind of sleazy. I had to politely decline this job.

Does anyone else feel the same way about this for subjects to photograph? Would you have taken the job or passed?

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #287365 by Darrell
Oh my goodness I love shooting Baby Bumps ... New parents love them and they allow a lot of creativity.. and most times they lead to shooting the new born pictures and than family pictures...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
10 years 9 months ago #287367 by effron
Darrell's correct to being a future work lead in. I really am not to big on seeing the big belly, but so what? Its a job...Also, please America...stop the "Baby bump" stuff, its way too passe!! :)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #287371 by Tristan R
If it was part of another larger portrait job, then yes I would do it. Stand alone pregnancy shoot? Not too excited about this sort of job, but cash is cash. Personally I get creeped out when I go into someones home and I see a photo of someones bump. Awkward if you ask me.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #287378 by Tuscan Muse
You think a big bulging naked belly photo is kind of sleazy? Wow. It's natural and signifies a time in a mother's life that is so very important. I think to capture such a moment would be an honor. There are some very poignant and beautiful photos out there of pregnant women. I would have taken the job.
10 years 9 months ago #287385 by Don Fischer
if someone asked, I would not do it. To me it's kind of a personal thing. of course if someone wanted photo's while they were pregnant and and were dressed nicely, i'd do that. i see the cloth's some women wear when they are pregnant and i want to barf. When my wife was pregnant with out son, she always dressed nicely, like she was proud on the baby inside, not trashy like the baby inside was just a temporary inconvenience. Then again i would not do nudes either.

10 years 9 months ago #287386 by Hassner
A belly popping out? Is it not in your culture to see a pregnant woman on the beach in a bikini? (I'm from South Africa) We all have our history and culture that creates our boundaries. I think it is a matter of, we can pull it off tastefully. Nudity or semi-nudity can very easily look cheap or tacky. Some great masters have photographed their own wives' pregnant belly. A perfect belly is easy to work with. The ones with stretch marks needs creative thinking. I remember one photographer's wife's photo, belly covered with soap foam. I photographed my wife with the last (3rd) baby (18 yrs ago) covered with 50 meters of cling wrap. In black/white of course to soften the reality. I even hung it in one of my exhibitions.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuscan Muse
10 years 9 months ago #287391 by garyrhook
I've only done a couple, but I would love to find someone that would work with me to do more unexpected types of shots. I did a session yesterday morning with a large family that included a 3 month old, and during snack time dad asked me to take a couple of pictures of mom feeding her son. Totally unplanned, very cool, and I had to think fast. If they come out, perhaps I can parlay that into a maternity gig if she decides to have another. (No, I haven't look at them yet... I've to several hundred other images in front of them in the queue...)

Anyhoo, my answer is yes, absolutely.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #287409 by Leilanee
I hate baby bumps almost as much as I hate babies.

That said, I agree with the majority in that a job is a job, and if they like your portfolio enough that they want to pay you for those photos, I would take both the compliment and the job gladly.

10 years 9 months ago #287451 by icepics
As far as the photos go, I've seen maternity pictures done beautifully and some that are pretty bad and everything in between (the photo, not the woman who's pregnant!). But I guess it depends on what any photographer feels like they're good at doing and what they don't think they'd be able to do well. I've done sports portraits but if anyone planning a wedding even started to ask I'd probably run screaming into the night.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #287720 by Sawyer
If the job pays and it's not stepping over any society ethic lines, I'm game and hold no ill judgement on the type of photography it is.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #287917 by JMunoz
Doesn't bother me at all

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #288328 by Kristerp
When I think of photos like this I think of the customer - these image will become priceless to the family, a wonderful memory for them.

A pregnancy is a beautiful miracle for all involved.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024