Best way to determine current value of photography gear?

7 years 4 months ago #288038 by Amanda Davis
Hello, I'm new here.

I was wondering how is the best way to determine the worth of used camera gear? Is there some fancy math equation that is used to calculate used value of cameras and lenses? I currently have a Canon 5D Mark II and was possibly thinking about moving to Sony A99. I'm not 100% yet, just looking into the idea. I was at a Sony store over the weekend and was looking at the cameras they have. I really like these.

Just not sure what is the value of the existing gear I have and would like to look it up. Thank you for the help.

Amanda

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 4 months ago #288046 by garyrhook
Value is defined as the price a willing seller accepts from a willing buyer. There is no formula for computing that.

If you want a sense of what used equipment is going for, troll completed listings on eBay, see what is being asked for on craigslist and sites like KEH, Adorama, BorrowLenses, etc. Wherever used equipment is offered for sale. Keep in mind that, just like with automobiles, the price through a dealer will be a bit higher than via a private seller.

Photo Comments

7 years 4 months ago #288057 by rmeyer7
I was recently in the same situation when I decided to sell my 5D and other Canon gear and switch to Nikon. The most important thing I would suggest you consider, before I even answer your question, is this: What is it that the Sony camera gives you that your Canon can't? Is there legitimate needed functionality that's causing you to switch?

For me, I needed better AF and low light performance and Nikon had exactly the right combination for half the price of a 5Diii, so I went through with the switch.

Ok, sorry...back to your question! I looked at KEH since you can compare what they're selling in the same condition as your gear. Then I asked for a reasonable percentage less. That percentage varies a bit from one piece of gear to another, but should be less than they're asking while still being a price you're comfortable accepting.

Or I guess the short form of the same answer would be: what Gary said.

7 years 4 months ago #288068 by Roy Wilson
:agree: best place to look is the used markets

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments

7 years 4 months ago #288069 by Baydream
I used the trade-in calculator at B&H to get a ballpark figure and multiplied that by 1.5. It seemed to be about what the items were going for. Not perfect but a simple guide.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

7 years 4 months ago #288102 by Melissa Zui
Buy it now prices on eBay

7 years 4 months ago #288108 by Screamin Scott
Completed listings on eBay are much more accurate than the "Buy it Now" as they show what an item sold for, not how much the seller wanted...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

7 years 4 months ago #288152 by Luca

Baydream wrote: I used the trade-in calculator at B&H to get a ballpark figure and multiplied that by 1.5. It seemed to be about what the items were going for. Not perfect but a simple guide.

Where are you finding that calculator? I looked and must be blind. Thank you

Photo Comments

7 years 4 months ago #288238 by Jeanne Merlo
Have you tried selling gear to KEH? How fair are their offers?

7 years 4 months ago #288242 by Screamin Scott
They are in business to make a profit & thus would not offer a great sum. I would think you could do much better selling them privately...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

7 years 4 months ago #288302 by ThatNikonGuy

Screamin Scott wrote: They are in business to make a profit & thus would not offer a great sum. I would think you could do much better selling them privately...

:agree: exactly. Just like if you bring you car to dealer for trade in, they will give you only a small amount vs selling direct.

Photo Comments

7 years 4 months ago #288405 by Carol K
That's why you never bring your car to dealer. :rofl:

7 years 4 months ago #288611 by Amanda Davis
Oh, I never, ever trade in a car at dealer

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020

The Sony a9 II is a feature-rich full frame camera with superb image quality and video performance. In this review, learn all about its specs and capabilities.

Nov 12, 2020

In this Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 review, we'll look at the specs, features, build quality, price and more of this affordable camera for vloggers.

Nov 11, 2020

Is the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV the right camera for you? Or should you opt for the cheaper Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III? Find out in this review!

Nov 09, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Learning how to use a slider should begin with some basic slider techniques. Get some tips, tricks, and insights on simple slider shots in this quick tutorial.

Nov 23, 2020

Acrylic prints can be a beautiful addition to your home. But if you've never bought one, you probably have acrylic print questions. Get the answers you need in this buyer's guide.

Nov 20, 2020

To stabilize a camera doesn't always mean having a tripod. Instead, there are many tripod alternatives and makeshift tripods you can use to stabilize your camera.

Nov 20, 2020

What is focal length? How does it differ from effective focal length? In this tutorial, we'll shed light on the differences between the two.

Nov 17, 2020

These underused Photoshop tools can help you unlock your creativity and create more impactful images.

Nov 17, 2020

Search no more for the best laptops for photographers under $1000. This list includes five of the top picks based on specs, features, and price.

Nov 16, 2020

"I'm going to use ND filters" is one thing. Knowing which ND filter you need is another. In this guide, we'll compare and contrast common types of ND filters.

Nov 16, 2020

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020