Best way to determine current value of photography gear?

10 years 9 months ago #288038 by Amanda Davis
Hello, I'm new here.

I was wondering how is the best way to determine the worth of used camera gear? Is there some fancy math equation that is used to calculate used value of cameras and lenses? I currently have a Canon 5D Mark II and was possibly thinking about moving to Sony A99. I'm not 100% yet, just looking into the idea. I was at a Sony store over the weekend and was looking at the cameras they have. I really like these.

Just not sure what is the value of the existing gear I have and would like to look it up. Thank you for the help.

Amanda

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #288046 by garyrhook
Value is defined as the price a willing seller accepts from a willing buyer. There is no formula for computing that.

If you want a sense of what used equipment is going for, troll completed listings on eBay, see what is being asked for on craigslist and sites like KEH, Adorama, BorrowLenses, etc. Wherever used equipment is offered for sale. Keep in mind that, just like with automobiles, the price through a dealer will be a bit higher than via a private seller.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #288057 by rmeyer7
I was recently in the same situation when I decided to sell my 5D and other Canon gear and switch to Nikon. The most important thing I would suggest you consider, before I even answer your question, is this: What is it that the Sony camera gives you that your Canon can't? Is there legitimate needed functionality that's causing you to switch?

For me, I needed better AF and low light performance and Nikon had exactly the right combination for half the price of a 5Diii, so I went through with the switch.

Ok, sorry...back to your question! I looked at KEH since you can compare what they're selling in the same condition as your gear. Then I asked for a reasonable percentage less. That percentage varies a bit from one piece of gear to another, but should be less than they're asking while still being a price you're comfortable accepting.

Or I guess the short form of the same answer would be: what Gary said.

10 years 9 months ago #288068 by Roy Wilson
:agree: best place to look is the used markets

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #288069 by Baydream
I used the trade-in calculator at B&H to get a ballpark figure and multiplied that by 1.5. It seemed to be about what the items were going for. Not perfect but a simple guide.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #288102 by Melissa Zui
Buy it now prices on eBay

10 years 9 months ago #288108 by Screamin Scott
Completed listings on eBay are much more accurate than the "Buy it Now" as they show what an item sold for, not how much the seller wanted...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #288152 by Luca

Baydream wrote: I used the trade-in calculator at B&H to get a ballpark figure and multiplied that by 1.5. It seemed to be about what the items were going for. Not perfect but a simple guide.

Where are you finding that calculator? I looked and must be blind. Thank you

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #288238 by Jeanne Merlo
Have you tried selling gear to KEH? How fair are their offers?

10 years 9 months ago #288242 by Screamin Scott
They are in business to make a profit & thus would not offer a great sum. I would think you could do much better selling them privately...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #288302 by ThatNikonGuy

Screamin Scott wrote: They are in business to make a profit & thus would not offer a great sum. I would think you could do much better selling them privately...

:agree: exactly. Just like if you bring you car to dealer for trade in, they will give you only a small amount vs selling direct.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #288405 by Carol K
That's why you never bring your car to dealer. :rofl:

10 years 9 months ago #288611 by Amanda Davis
Oh, I never, ever trade in a car at dealer

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024