So is Kodak a done deal in photography these days?

10 years 8 months ago #292057 by iTravel
Other than paper do they have any skin left in the photography industry?

10 years 8 months ago #292082 by garyrhook
Ironic that Kodak invented the digital camera.

Found this: www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-20/kodak-...ved-by-new-york.html

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292098 by Zeberk
I had one of their printers and honestly it was the worst printer ever

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292125 by Tristan R
yep stick a fork in them

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292128 by Baydream

Zeberk wrote: I had one of their printers and honestly it was the worst printer ever

I just ditched a Kodak printer (from our cottage) after less than a year. Print was OK until the print head went and I realized how many cartridges I had gone through. Customer service was by far the worst I have encountered. Between lack of English and shipping an order after I had cancelled it, the printer went to the recycling centre.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292135 by Overread
Same problem with mine. It went through ink VERY fast. Worst printer if you ask me.

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292138 by Joves
Well like many companies it is Kodaks fault that they went under. They chose to stay pretty much focused on old tech, as opposed to new tech. As is apparent by their lousy printers, if anything they should have been way ahead of the curve in just that, but held on to the idea that conventional film processing would remain profitable. They were wrong. This also applies to their camera divisions, which really never focused on more that the low end consumer market, even in the film days. I never understood why they never really ventured further into the pro end of the camera market, but they never did. Apparently never trying to compete across the whole market was never a thought, or a part of the plan. Pure stupidity, and I wish I could get a job like their execs getting paid lots of money to fail. I am almost willing to bet that Kodak thought that name recognition would keep them profitable, and in business. From the article Gary posted, I do not think they will even do well in the new market they have chosen, the competition in that segment is even worse for them to try and capitalize in. It is a shame to see them go, but that is what being stupid will do to you.

10 years 8 months ago #292245 by Jim Photo
:agree: had they invested into better technology earlier on, they might be around still today.

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292249 by Don Fischer
I think the only thing Kodak ever got right was film. I used to drive long haul out of Greeley, Colo. One contract we had was Kodak out of Kelim, Colo. They made film there and shipped it to Rochester, NY and NYC. I think we took paper too. One trip back, they had moved the NYC warehouse out to Elizabeth, NJ. and didn't tell a soul! Brand new facility they had built out there. Another time I was back there looking for a load home and got one for Kodak in Kelim. Went to pick it up and it was a roll up door for an opening in a wall they didn't even know where the opening would be yet. 45' dry van and one door and bolts to hang it with and paid exclussive use on the truck! While I was there, I told the guy's it was stupid! Shipper told me that Kodak does that stuff all the time. Once they chartered a plane just to fly a bad of small part's for hanging a door. Actually it's surprising that they've been around this long!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024