Will you ever shoot at higher ISO speeds?

10 years 6 months ago #298659 by Fiona
Nearly 98% of the time, my ISO is set at 200. I set my exposure around shutter speed and aperture. Back when I have film camera I used higher ISO, but that was film. I think my reluctance to venture off the 200 mark is because of image quality. I want the absolute best image sharpness that I can get. Faster speeds is nice, but the trade off has always been additional noise and reduction in image sharpness.

10 years 6 months ago #298663 by KCook
The highest ISO I have used is about 4000. Yes, the IQ stunk, but it is still better than having no photo at all. Most of my shots are in the 200 - 1200 range.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 6 months ago #298686 by shelland
All depends what you're shooting. Taking pics of my son playing basketball in an old gym, sometimes I have to go to 3200 and still can't get the shutter speeds I'd prefer (1/500 or faster).

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

10 years 6 months ago #298694 by Hassner
I shoot at 100 ISO for 95% of the time. But situations rule the ISO setting. Of course I keep it as low as possible.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #298695 by Joves
High ISO is a tool, so yes I will use it as needed for what I am shooting. The High ISO on a digital sensor is not even the same as film. With film you had grain with the upper ISO range, how much depended on what film you were shooting with. With digital this is not so much the case, you may get noise, but this varies from camera model to model. The upper end now handles the Higher ISOs quite well. With digital if you nail the shot, then you do not have much, or little noise to contend with in post work. With film you could nail the shot, and still have a grainy photo, because that is determined by the size of the grains in the film. Also the newer sensors make luminance noise now, as opposed to the old chroma noise in the early days, which truthfully was atrocious so you never used the higher ISO ranges. I will take digital noise any day of the week, and twice on Sunday over film grain. Unless I am looking for that effect. I regularly shoot at 400-800 many times during full daylight if I want really high shutter speeds. In photography it is always the case of you have to use what you need for whatever you are shooting. Digital just gives you more options to do it.

10 years 6 months ago #298700 by Shadowfixer1
If you shot at a higher ISO with film, I don't understand the reluctance with digital. Digital is a LOT better at higher ISO than film ever was plus you have tools to help correct the problem now. If you need it, use it. That's what it's there for. They didn't do all this work to get higher ISO quality just to feel good about it. They did it to give you another tool in your arsenal.
10 years 6 months ago #298702 by John Landolfi
As pointed out above, one tries to keep the ISO at the lowest setting that will give the desired result. But sensors have improved to the point that the default value of high end cameras is 200 now, since there's no visible difference with 100. The noise issue is also addressed quite well, and I have gotten publishable (ion the right venue) images at 3200. But Med-High values work very well.
Here's 1/40 sec @f/6.3, ISO800 with the Nikon D3s:

Bellevue-Chihuly-No4- by gianbur , on Flickr

And my avatar was shot at ISO 1000. :cheers:

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298723 by Stealthy Ninja
Do you only shoot outdoors during the day?

I often shoot 6400iso if need be. But most of the time I shoot indoor events and it's better to get the shot. Then again my camera has very good high iso.

On the 5Dii (which I assume is the camera OP has) you can pretty easily shoot up to 1600iso or even 3200iso and not worry too much about noise.

Just don't pixel peep all the time.
10 years 6 months ago #298734 by tejbon
I'll shoot anywhere from 200 to 4000, there are so many denoise programs out there

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298848 by Marin Chi

John Landolfi wrote: As pointed out above, one tries to keep the ISO at the lowest setting that will give the desired result. But sensors have improved to the point that the default value of high end cameras is 200 now, since there's no visible difference with 100. The noise issue is also addressed quite well, and I have gotten publishable (ion the right venue) images at 3200. But Med-High values work very well.

That is so pretty, is that yours?

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298897 by John Landolfi

Marin Chi wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: As pointed out above, one tries to keep the ISO at the lowest setting that will give the desired result. But sensors have improved to the point that the default value of high end cameras is 200 now, since there's no visible difference with 100. The noise issue is also addressed quite well, and I have gotten publishable (ion the right venue) images at 3200. But Med-High values work very well.

That is so pretty, is that yours?

Glass sculpture by Dale Chihuly, hanging in a mall in Bellevue, WA. :)

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299028 by One Wish
Like others, for me it really depends on what I'm shooting. Granted most of the time, I'm shooting around the 200 ISO level. However if the lighting calls for it, I have commonly moved my ISO upwards to 1000 and even higher to get the shot I wanted.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299036 by garyrhook
Whatever it takes when I have no control over the situation. That means, for stage events like dance, with crummy lighting, anywhere from 2500 to 5000 in order to freeze movement.

In general, I try to stay on the low end, but again, whatever the situation calls for. I don't stress over a number, and I'm not afraid of PP.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299254 by Fiona
Thanks everyone, I think it's time I start exploring higher ISO settings. What noise software are you all using?

10 years 6 months ago #299275 by garyrhook
LR does a fine job.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024